Other Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
My wife said for her birthday she would like me to start a Chardonnay kit. I would appreciate suggestions for a good kit in the 100 to 200 range. She likes the buttery oaky white wines.

Started my cc Yakima valley merlot yesterday!

My wife said for her birthday she would like me to start a Chardonnay kit. I would appreciate suggestions for a good kit in the 100 to 200 range. She likes the buttery oaky white wines.

Started my cc Yakima valley merlot yesterday!

I would go with either RJ spagnols En Premuer' or WineExpert's Australian chardonnay they are both very good. EP's is richer while WE's will give more fruit notes. :dg

You can't really get a "buttery" Chardonnay out of a kit unless you try and do a "battonage process"on it and that really only adds increased mouthfeel not so much butter. I would go for an Aussie styled kit as they will include oak which will help add some depth and complexity but again not really butter. Butter in a Chard comes from malolactic fermentation which is not done on kits, only fresh grape products. I would go as mentioned above the RJS EP Aussie Chard (comes with an oak teabag) . The Eclipse Chard should be great (18L kit) but it has no oak supplied you would have to add your own.

Mike, the WE Austin chard has a lot of bang for the buck. Has oak packs as well for me, it's a close call between WE and Spagnols

Good to know. I just finished the RSJ EP Aussie Chard. Too early to tell much at the moment but has wonderful aroma thats for sure. I will bulk age for a couple more months.

I thought a semilion blended with chardonnay give a more buttery taste.

Sémillon has a lot of proteins which contribute an almost "oily" character note which increases mouthfeel which could easily equate to "buttery" of sorts. It is used in quite a few blends, especially off dry wines like (Chardonnay-Sauv Blanc-Sémillon) and sweet wines (Sauternes)

I personally would go for a mellower type Chardonnay a Chambliss. The difference in the earth makes a huge difference to the texture of this wine. Kits generally do not get too buttery as they do not do malolacitc ferment at all. It is the malolactic ferment that gives the buttery texture by changing the malic acid to lactic acid. Chardonnay is typically grown in harder based soils while the chardonnay from Chambais is grown in an old sea bed this leaves a lot of calcium and minerals that are not present any where else for the grapes to use and prosper from. The result is a softer easier to palate wine more along the buttery palette than a regular Chardonnay.

Latest posts

Back