Cellar Craft Chardonnay Yakima Valley

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
Chardonnay Yakima Valley - Acacia vs Hungarian Oak

About a year ago Cellar Craft was acquired by Vineco. One of the changes was on the Yakima Valley Chardonnay, going from Acacia to Hungarian oak. Anyone familiar with this who can tell me if the new kit is as good as the original.

My layman's understanding of oak is that Acacia is an excellent choice for whites and Hungarian is generally suited to reds. There's probably wine makers who barrel age and could tell me about this.

Also, if the new version chardonnay is not as good (I suspect it's not.), any suggestions on another chardonnay?

Tony P.

Last edited:
The new version is still an excellent chardonnay. I made it, but I used lees aging and stirring on mine, so it is hard to compare.

Unlike an Australian style, which is much darker, heavier and maybe a little fruitier (maybe), this guy is very light and smooth, with emphasis on light. It needs the oak, at least a little.

From what I have read, many chardonnay drinkers did not like the acacia wood flavor in the original kit. Not sure but I thought they switched back to oak even before they were sold.

I made the Acacia version. Its a very good "naked" Chard. I look forward to trying the next one going back to oak however!

I made the Acacia version. Its a very good "naked" Chard. I look forward to trying the next one going back to oak however!

Mike,
Have you made the Orchard Breezing CranApple Chard? I picked up a kit and was wondering if you have made it or know of anyone who has?
I have heard good reviews. I am not a fan of sweet wines but am going to give this a try. In the ferment bucket today.
Kathie

I have to admit I have not made any of the Orchard Breezin Kits. I think Runningwolf has made quite a few of those. Perhaps PM him or he may pop in here by chance and respond.

I am down to about 6 bottles of this Chardonnay and it does get better and better with bottle age like most Chards do. We popped one on Sunday night with our Seafood Pasta with tomatoes and capers recipe that uses all those over ripe cherry tomatoes we have tons of this time of the year. Excellent way to use them up. To die for good BTW. The wine and the pasta! LOL

Mike,
Have you made the Orchard Breezing CranApple Chard? I picked up a kit and was wondering if you have made it or know of anyone who has?
I have heard good reviews. I am not a fan of sweet wines but am going to give this a try. In the ferment bucket today.
Kathie

I generally make 2 Orchard Breezin kits each summer. I have never made that particular one, though.

It will be very sweet and a nice porch pounder for warm summer days. The O.B's are always a favorite at parties, too. Pour it over a full glass of ice and garnish with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, pineapple or most any fruit.

I have never done this, but if you don't like the wine to be so sweet, you can add half of the F pack during fermentation, then the other half after fermentation. This may affect the flavor a little. Or you might try 1/3 during fermentation, 2/3's after.

I always add 3 to 4 pounds of sugar to my OB's to raise the alcohol level a bit. It is so sweet it can handle the additional alcohol and still be in balance.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have to admit I have not made any of the Orchard Breezin Kits. I think Runningwolf has made quite a few of those. Perhaps PM him or he may pop in here by chance and respond.

I am down to about 6 bottles of this Chardonnay and it does get better and better with bottle age like most Chards do. We popped one on Sunday night with our Seafood Pasta with tomatoes and capers recipe that uses all those over ripe cherry tomatoes we have tons of this time of the year. Excellent way to use them up. To die for good BTW. The wine and the pasta! LOL

Thanks, Mike. BTW, your dinner sounded delicious and I am assuming you are talking about the CC Yakima Chard?
I have made the CC Showcase Chard which turned out pretty darn good. Will have to try the Yakima Chard, for sure. :)
Kathie

I generally make 2 Orchard Breezin kits each summer. I have never made that particular one, though.

It will be very sweet and a nice porch pounder for warm summer days. The O.B's are always a favorite at parties, too. Pour it over a full glass of ice and garnish with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, pineapple or most any fruit.

I have never done this, but if you don't like the wine to be so sweet, you can add half of the F pack during fermentation, then the other half after fermentation. This may affect the flavor a little. Or you might try 1/3 during fermentation, 2/3's after.

I always add 3 to 4 pounds of sugar to my OB's to raise the alcohol level a bit. It is so sweet it can handle the additional alcohol and still be in balance.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks, Robie. I will probably stick with the instructions and make this my "I appreciate you...here is a bottle of chard" wine. :)
Kathie

Yes,

The CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chard. I thought I read that they (CC) went back to light oak in this kit but FVW still says Acacia. I think I will give the RJS EP Australian Chardonnay a try next time it goes on sale.

Thanks, Mike. BTW, your dinner sounded delicious and I am assuming you are talking about the CC Yakima Chard?
I have made the CC Showcase Chard which turned out pretty darn good. Will have to try the Yakima Chard, for sure. :)
Kathie

Yes,

The CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chard. I thought I read that they (CC) went back to light oak in this kit but FVW still says Acacia. I think I will give the RJS EP Australian Chardonnay a try next time it goes on sale.

Information from CC is confusing. However, I contacted Vineco (the maker of CC) and confirmed that they went from Acacia to Hungarian oak.

Tony P.

Yes,

I don't think there's an EP Chardonnay. Are you referring to the Cru Select?

Tony P.

Information from CC is confusing. However, I contacted Vineco (the maker of CC) and confirmed that they went from Acacia to Hungarian oak.

Tony P.

Did they say when the switch was made?

Tony P.

Tony, oo oo.....good to know. :)
Kathie

Back