Central Illinois Clubs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manda said:
I didn't see anything on their website about prices or dates.

There's nothing on their website about it. i just asked one year figuring they didn't sell any, but I was surprised when they told me they would. I usually jump the gun and call in July to see how the grapes are doing then I call before the festival to check again and order a pie of course. The price probably depends on the season, but I have gotten 30 pds of concord for around $35. A good deal in my book.

Manda,
Too bad you can't find anything close by. Baxter would probably be over 4 1/2 hours for you. Last year I heard of Cana Springs Vineyard that is close to Quincy, but I don't know how big he is (he's on the other site for sure). He would definitely be closer for both of us, probably taking close to an hour off of our travel time, but I'll go back to Baxter this year. Last year when I went over, it was a beautiful September day and I really enjoyed the drive. I followed the river down part of the way and then caught I-72 a few miles east of Hannibal. The Baxter crew were very helpful and they also sell some wine making supplies. If I didn't have a car full of grapes, I would have stayed and visited the Nauvoo area a little longer. Hopefully, one of these days, if we ever get out from these drought conditions, I'd like to see my grapes finally grow and then, I should have enough grapes for my home use......looking more like wishful thinking than a reality though.
How did the birthday go? Did you just go to the one winery? Vahling was over last weekend for the product show. The place was packed.

Bob – Thank for the info. My birthday was great. We did go to the product show but there were just too many people for it to be enjoyable for me at least. So we went to Olive Garden for lunch and then did some shopping. We only visited the one winery (Willow Ridge) their murder mystery theater was very enjoyable.

Yeah, they have nothing on their website. I looked around last year and couldn't find anyone who was selling grapes locally and then I was telling a wine maker from a local winery that I was thinking about just ordering the juice on line and he told me to call Baxter's before I did that and sure enough, they put me on their list and gave me a call around the first part of September. This year, I already put my order in last month. Last year, 144 pounds of Concords were around $108 with tax. They have other varieties, but I don't remember what they were. I only remember Niagara.

Yep, I hear ya on the "just too many people." I don't enjoy being around crowds like that any more. I got to visit with a couple of old friends from way back who were there selling their stuff and then I ran across a girl that I knew who was working for one of the local breweries. Back when she was just a little thing, her brother and I were in school together. Haven't seen him in years, but it was nice to catch up on everything from her. The wine tasting room was not too bad when I was there, so I visited for a while and then picked up a bottle from Hopewell Winery....he makes some darn good stuff, but no one around here sells it.

Have been to Baxters several time but am not thrilled with concord wine. Prefer a Full bodied Zinfadel so I will have to keep making from consentrates till I get some vines to grow in my backyard.

Yeah, I enjoy a good Concord wine, but the thing is, no one really makes a good Concord. I have tried Baxter's Concord and although they are one nice family to deal with, I didn't care for the Concord.

Hi all,

:a1 I'm in the Springfield area, but maybe this spring when the weather warms up, we can all meet some afternoon at Mackinaw Valley, sit out on the deck and have a glass of wine.

Sounds good...::se

Yeah, I enjoy a good Concord wine, but the thing is, no one really makes a good Concord. I have tried Baxter's Concord and although they are one nice family to deal with, I didn't care for the Concord.

So no one makes a good concord. How did yours come out?? If really good, how about sharing how you made it. Thanks, Arne.

Hi Arne! Ha, I'm guessing that it didn't turn out too well. Too much local misinformation may have caused problems for me, but hey, learn from your mistakes and there is always next year. I already ordered more grapes for next fall and I can't wait to try it again. I wanted a perfect bottle of Concord wine, but came up short. Looked clear when I bottled and I even filtered it, but now it has sediment and tartaric acid crystals floating around. Looks like crap, but I have not tasted it since I bottled two months ago. Back then, it had a little "edge" to it and I was hoping that it would mellow out after bottle aging a little more, but hey, thanks for asking.

Started mine last fall, sitting in the basement this winter it got pretty cold. Got a lot of wine diamonds from it. actually they were the first I have seen. It doesn't taste terrible, needs a bit of sugar to bring the flavor out. It kinda reminds me of a Mogan David wine but not so sweet. It is still sitting in the carboys. It has cleared a bunch, but leaving it for a while longer. Racked it the other day and there was a little sediment but not much. Will see how it goes. Arne.

Hey Arne, that doesn't sound too bad. On my list of mistakes, I should have let it age longer than 4 months in the carboy, but got rushed and read where bottle aging was better than bulk aging and then you read that bulk aging is far better than bottle aging. This year, it will definitely bulk age a lot longer. I didn't want that syrupy sweet taste of Mogen David, I was looking for something a little off dry to semi-sweet. I think it's at 1.012. This year, it will sit on the skins longer and I'll wait a little longer before I press it and instead of listening to six different people telling me how to do it six different ways, I'll just do what I think is right. I met a winery owner, who makes a good Concord and he has offered to give advice, so when I get stuck, I'll defenitley tap into his knowledge.

Some years my concord comes out great and I only have to back sweeten it. This year it was lacking the concord smell and taste I like so after racking at two months I had some head space so I added concord juice and then sweetend it before bottling and voila great Concord. At least for my liking.

Hello fellow Illini. I'm in the Belleville area and am always looking for sources of grapes or juice. I'm pretty well stuck on wine from grapes and stick to dry wines. I've made vidal blanc, traminette and nortons from grapes or vineyard provided juice and sauvignon blanc, gewurtztraminer, amarone and super tuscan from kits. I've also done a blend of sangiovese and cabernet from frozen musts. Any suggestions on where to source grapes close to me? Thanks.

Some years my concord comes out great and I only have to back sweeten it. This year it was lacking the concord smell and taste I like so after racking at two months I had some head space so I added concord juice and then sweetend it before bottling and voila great Concord. At least for my liking.

Hey elewis, what type of juice did you use? Was it grape juice from a bottle, or was it frozen?

BobR said:
Hey elewis, what type of juice did you use? Was it grape juice from a bottle, or was it frozen?

I have used Welschs from the bottle. I have never tried frozen concentrate. I'm not sure which is better to use. I wish I didn't have to use any extra juice, but sometimes it's like the concord taste gets losts. Also I don't like to use water to fill my head space.

Back