Celler craft new instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Hey guys, the new instructions are basically saying to leave the wine in the bucket for 14 days and complete the fermentation...so no secondary. They say to stir the muslin bag with grape skins at least once daily until ready to rack for clearing. Wont this expose the wine to unnecessary oxygen? I can always rig up a bit of an airlock but would the muslin bag with the skins not impart off decaying flavors after 14 days?

Hey guys, the new instructions are basically saying to leave the wine in the bucket for 14 days and complete the fermentation...so no secondary. They say to stir the muslin bag with grape skins at least once daily until ready to rack for clearing. Wont this expose the wine to unnecessary oxygen? I can always rig up a bit of an airlock but would the muslin bag with the skins not impart off decaying flavors after 14 days?

You know the old saying, “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”? Yes, I know, morbid, but that’s not the point. Whether you conduct your AF in one vessel or two, the goal is the same, to get the sugar converted. WE made a change to their instructions as well. With all of the CO2 being generated and released, well past fermentation, oxidation shouldn’t be an issue, nor stinky fruit. These high octane, CO2 laden, low pH environments are pretty inhospitable, and 14 days from pitch to fruit removal, means you’re only in the bucket after fermentation is 100% complete for a few days.

You know the old saying, “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”? Yes, I know, morbid, but that’s not the point. Whether you conduct your AF in one vessel or two, the goal is the same, to get the sugar converted. WE made a change to their instructions as well. With all of the CO2 being generated and released, well past fermentation, oxidation shouldn’t be an issue, nor stinky fruit. These high octane, CO2 laden, low pH environments are pretty inhospitable, and 14 days from pitch to fruit removal, means you’re only in the bucket after fermentation is 100% complete for a few days.
Alright sounds good, likely less wine wasted that way anyways and more flavor from the skins. Ill rig up an airlock though on the bucket to help a bit even though my lid does not have a gasket but its better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back