Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Whites? Gewurztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeguy

Reaction score
I have scanned the threads the best I could so I hope this is not a repeat.
I typically drink red wines but do enjoy a nice gewurztraminer or reisling from time to time. I do not care for chardonay typically. My wife loves nearly all things white except chardonay.
I have been looking for a nice CC (cellar craft) gewurt or reisling by CC. I have actually purchased the gewurt/reisling blend to try.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about any of the CC white table (not dessert) wines? I am interested to here recommendations or tips about these kits. Personally I dont like overly sweet but my wife does so I am open to all things white (minus the chard) at this point in time.
:fsh

How do you like the Gewurz/Riesling? I am about to bottle the Winexpert version and it is tasting pretty good right now?

Sorry, but I don't know enough about wines or kits to really help you....

Mine is only in Primary Fermentation bucket right now so I have held off on tasting it. The juice smelled amazing, even better then the Cabernet Sauv. I am aging right now so I have high hopes. I will keep you posted.

My last reisling I sweetened to 1.5% R.S. bottled 1 case, added more simple syrup to 2.5% R.S. and bottled the rest. (5 gallon fresh juice batch)
Even though it was the same wine, they took on ther own character after aging and satisfied both of us. We also liked having the choice with food pairings.

Just an option!

More sorbate then?

If I am making a reisling/gewurzt kit from CC and want to back sweeten some portion of it as you recommended would I need to add MORE pot. sorbate to those samples then currently "pre-packaged" with the normal kits?...

I am not that familar with kits, I use fresh juice. The sorbate and k-meta will keep the yeast from multiplying and re-fermenting. It should not matter if there is 2% or 4% residual sugar.
I generally add the stabilizers (potasium sorbate 1/2 tsp.per gallon and 1 rounded 1/4 tsp k-meta.) wait 2 days. then sweeten to taste (or slightly under) let it set under airlock for a week or so to confirm that fermentation has stopped. When I bottle , adjust the final sugar to taste. Sometimes do a semi-dry and semi sweet from the same batch this way by adding more simple syrup to the last half of the bottling bucket. Simple syrup is 2 cups sugar dissolved in 1 cup water on the stove. I usually make more syrup than needed and store extra in a sanitized bottle in the frig.
From every thing I have read, this seems to be the norm. I have learned the wait between stabilizing and sweetening is important, too soon and corks will fly.

Update

So, I tasted the Reisling/Gewurzt kit immediately after primary and I have to say it already tastes amazing. I am suprised at how fruity it is was. I tasted this wine when it was almost done fermenting and had an estimated ETOH content of about 8% and it was so good I kind of wanted to attempt to stablize it then but my better judgement prevailed and it is now dry (about 10.5% ETOH):try:try and really good. I have not even added the "essence of reisling/gewurt pac" yet either. I am taking advice from this forumn and will be back sweetening to 1% RSugar and 2.5% Rsugar and the remaining 1/3 leaving dry.
I am really impressed and excited by this wine...part of me does not even want to age this but I will...
One note I did ferment this at about 61 degrees and did add additional yeast nutrient to the juice just to ensure it kept going. Primary took nearly 2 weeks to reach SG of 0.998.

Sounds good. It is a nice option to have three choices with one batch. If it turns out like mine did, there was a big difference in flavor. No one knew it was the same wine. Glad it worked out for you!!

Latest posts

Back