Cellar Craft CC yakima reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Yakima Valley Reisling. It has an oak intensity of 5. If you don't like an oaky white is there any reason you can't make this without the oak. I know most would say you can do anything you want but I would like to know if it would still be an excellent wine without it. any opinions out there or has someone actually made it without any oak and how did you like it? thanks, Ron.

I'm making this kit right now. I decided to use the oak. If you don't like oak, I wouldn't use it. There are a lot of Rieslings without oak in them. Hopefully, someone who has made it without the oak will chime in. Good Luck!!

I just made this kit and its fantastic at only 3 mo. I put the oak in and for the life of me I would never say this kit has an oak intensity of 5. No way.

You could make it, take it all the way to fining and even rack off the fines to where it is ready to bottle, then taste it and see if you like it. If its missing something (like mouthfeel) add the oak in for 2-3 weeks then rack it off once it has sunk to the bottom. Let it integrate for a month and then bottle.

oak is a very preferential item and you always have the option of using or not using this. If it doesnt sound good for that wine then save it fir a wine down the road that just didnt have enough for your taste or if it didnt have any period. Personally I wouldnt add it to a Riesling but must also admit I have never tried it in a Riesling. I dont really like oak in whites with the exception of a Chard.

I have a Riesling going at present and it did not come with oak chips. When I think back on the Rieslings that I drank while stationed in Germany, the most memorable taste Ican recallis green apple. I am thinking of extracting the juice from some Granny Smith apples andadding theit to at least a part of my batch after I add the K sorbate.

Yes, I am acloset mad scientist!

Latest posts

Back