Cellar Craft CC Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the bag wasn't opened, it should be relatively sterile. Usually the directions have you soak them for a while in some water with k-meta to soak up some water. Often, I just put them in the carboy without soaking, but, it can cause the wine to foam if not degassed thoroughly so be careful if it is really full.

Okie,

Sounds like a great experiment. Wow, six kits going at once! Now THAT sounds like fun. Any variations among the three SUper Tuscan kits? Different oak? Different yeast? More/less time on the lees? It's difficult to wait ayear or morejust to find out how things turn out, especially doing one batch at a time. I like the idea of starting several identical batches with minor variations.

appleman said:
If the bag wasn't opened, it should be relatively sterile. Usually the directions have you soak them for a while in some water with k-meta to soak up some water. Often, I just put them in the carboy without soaking, but, it can cause the wine to foam if not degassed thoroughly so be careful if it is really full.

The oak cubes were is a sealed bag so I "thieved" a little wine out the carboy into a sanitized bottleto make room and dropped them in. Topped off with most of the wine removed and away we go with extended lees contact!Next to decide is how long. I'm thinking about eight weeks. What do you think?

Is the extended less contact in primary, secondary or based on Jack on Rainy's last post it sounds like it was in the clarifying carboy. Or is it in the long term aging carboy?

You dont want extended contact on a fining agent. You can let it sit on secondary lees as that is what wineries do to get more mouth feel and body.

laneygirl said:
Is the extended less contact in primary, secondary or based on Jack on Rainy's last post it sounds like it was in the clarifying carboy. Or is it in the long term aging carboy?
I did it in secondary before clarifying agents were added.

oh my gosh, Ken & Gina, that looks delicious!!! Awesome pictures. I have yet to make a kit with a grape pack. Let us know how this one turns out.

Hi UAV,

This one's bulk aging in a carboy for the summer. The last time I racked it (couple weeks ago) it had a great taste but the bouquet had a long way to go.

Ken, where do you and Ginakeep your aging wine? I know it has to be a bajillion degrees in Yuma. hahaha I keep my AC at 77 degrees here in S. AZ. Do you think that is too warm to start some wine kits?

Good luck on that wine. Sounds like a keeper for sure.

Thanks UAV,

We keep our AC on 80 and it feels practically arctic compared to outside. I've pretty much cleaned out my wine fridge (such a sacrifice..
smiley2.gif
) to make room for the wines we've bottled so far. So those lucky bottles stay at a constant 57 degrees. Unfortunately, it only holds about 50 bottles, roughly half my stock (bottled). The rest of our bottled wine is in a wine rack in a bedroom closet. TheSuper Tuscan and all our fruit wines are still in carboys and will remain there until fall. We keep those in our pantry where it's dark. Not ideal, but it's the best I could do.

As for starting new wine kits in the summer, I wouldn't start a white. I like to ferment those in cooler temps. Maybe a red, but I worry about shipping in this heat. Everything I get from UPS or Fedex is blistering hot.

I'll be off the forum until mid August. Vacation time a week from today.
smiley4.gif

I racked mine a week ago, wonderful taste. Needs a bit more time for the smell but soooooo good right now. Hard to imagine I will have a few left to drink in 4 years.

I've only been at this hobby for 8 months, so I still don't know what to expect. But I've noticed a real difference between the reds I've done and the whites. The whites smell good from the start, all throughfermentation, and the bouquet is really excellent after only a few months of aging. The reds are competely different though. They smell very different from whites during fermentation, not really bad, but harsh. Then, after I oak them they smell terrible for a long time. This has been my experience with all three reds I've done so far, two with medium toast French oak and the Super Tuscan with medium toast Hungarian oak. 3 weeks on oak cubes for each wine. Very similar bouquet for all three, so I have to assume this is par for the course.

My first two reds are both 8 months old now, a Cab and a Sangiovese. I blendedthem and bottled them three months ago. I tried a bottle last month, and the boquet was starting to show some promise. More fruit and less oak on the nose. (That's fancy wine talk for "it smells more like wine and less like barbeque sauce") The taste was still what I've come to think of as "young" meaning very tangy, fruit forward, and a bit harsh. I'm assuming these bold tastes will mellow and harmonize with time, and that the bouquet will continue to develop.

Is this really the normal evolution of home made red wine?

wade said:
You dont want extended contact on a fining agent. You can let it sit on secondary lees as that is what wineries do to get more mouth feel and body.

How much extra time on the secondary lees (prior to clearing, stabilizing) would you suggest? I would like to try this on the Super Tuscan and the Red Mountain Syrah that are in their secondary fermenters now.

1-3 months top. Taste frequently though as there is a risk when aging Sur-Lie(On the yeast). If you start to smell rotten eggs(sulfur dioxide) rack off lees immediately and dont be to gentle as some oxidation at this point will most likely get rid of that problem. It is preferable to use fine lees for doing this and not the big heavy less from primary fermentation. Stirring the lees up every 4 days for the first 2 weeks will also speed up this body and complexity enhancing procedure and is known as Battonage.

Hi Wade, Thanks for the good advice...you are always so helpful.

Should I remove the airlock to smell for rotten eggs or does it just come through like the smell during fermentation?

One other question...what temperature should this be done at?

Fermentation temperatures or lower like bulk aging?

I would go with the lower temps although I dont think it would matter all that much. I ould surely get my nose in there often just to be sure.

I just tasted my Super Tuscan which has been bulk aging for a few months. It is the one mentioned in this thread which got extended lees contact - 7 weeks.
The initial smell was KT. I let it sit for and hour and the KT smell went away for the most part. Then I tasted it. Acid out front, tannins and oakpresent, not much fruit. But, I think it may be one of the more flavorfull and betterredsof ours that wehave tasted at this stage of the process.
I'm thinking we will bulk ageuntil November and then bottle with an eye towardlate 2009 or later consumption.How does that sound to you folks?

Hi Jack,

Are you bulk aging in the same carboy you did clarification and stabilization in along with adding the oak cubes? I would expect another racking for bulk aging and then add the oak cubes, but I guess the instructions are written for 42 days and not bulk aging.

If you do another transfer will you be adding oak or re-using the oak cubes?

Latest posts

Back