Cellar Craft CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab-enzyme pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmo1

Reaction score
Just started this kit yesterday. The yeast is happly bubbling away and wow, this smells great. The kit contains an additional enzyme pack along with an insert stating to extend the primary fermentation around 12 days (S.G less than 1.0) rack, then add this enzyme. Anyone know what this is?

Its an Enzyme that assist in breaking down a stubborn white film/ring that is forming on some of the CC kits with grape packs. If it is included I would add it into the Must as directed.

Never heard of the white film/ring. I will make sure I follow the instructions. I checked your Chateau history - looks like you have made one of these kits before. How did it turn out?

Just now 12 months old and I am fixing to break into a bottle of it.

This is a great one if you give it the time it deserves. It is not an "early drinker"!

Make it and fugetaboudit for a long time.....

My R.M.C. is almost 1 year old. It has been sitting in a hungarian oak barrel. I think this will be a nice cab after a little bit of age....

It is an oil that is there due to the way the skins are processed and is nothing to worry about especially with this enzyme that rids this problem, Others in the past had to rack through this ring and leave it behind which was pretty easy but unsightly.

Glad they added the enzyme pack so I don't have to 'rack through' this one.
Regarding the grape pack. Is it best to squeeze the grapes in the bagdaily and stir it in or let it sit.

Stir the grape pack down into the must twice a day. Just before you rack the first time, hand squeeze the grape pack to get all the juice out of it, then discard the grape pack.

If you follow the instructions, which come with the enzyme, it is NOT likely you will have any problems getting it to work properly.

I have lots of experience with this enzyme and the milky film it may or may not cause, because I didn't use it properly the first time. After you rack, add the enzyme as instructed. Make sure the enzyme is stirred in really well and leave it in the wine for the proper length of time (days).

The idea here is to add the enzyme AFTER the bentonite has been racked off, as bentonite will totally deactivate the enzyme. So, when racking before adding the enzyme, make sure you leave behind as much sediment as possible, because the sediment will be loaded with bentonite.

On the racking AFTER ADDING THE CLARIFIERS, you might see a milky film, which looks like thin cake frosting, that runs down the inside of the carboy. If you do, call George and get further instructions.

I am one of the very few wine makers, who had trouble getting the enzyme to work properly. Before adding the enzyme, I believe I racked over too much of the sediment, which brought over a lot of bentonite.

After clearing, I finally got rid of the milky substance by adding a half teaspoon of bentonite, stirred it in very well, let it set for a couple days, then used Superclear to clarify again. I would talk to George before you try this, though.

Mmmm thin cake like frosting on the inside of the carboy - that sounds yummy
smiley11.gif
I never had this problemfrom other brand kits with grape packs. I will definitely follow the directions on this one. Has anyone had problems with the CC grape packs that are sold separately? It sounds like there may be something unique in their processing method.

The CC grape packs sold separately, of which I purchased two from George, also came with the enzyme packet. I added one to a malbec, which turned out quite nice.

I was not trying to scare anyone off from the CC grape pack kits. I just didn't follow the instructions properly; otherwise, I would not have had any problems. I still like and purchase Cellar Craft kits and intend to continue doing so in the future.

Transferred this into the secondary today - SG at 0.998. Added the enzyme pack per instructions. Smells/tastes great!Glad there is a secondary pack of oak cubes. The oak chips in the primary did not put much flavor into it.

Update on the Cab - pulled a sample today and all I can say is WOW! Great cab style nose, still needs more time on the oak.

No issues with the white oily substance. The enzyme pack worked perfectly.

Out of curiosity, do any of youadd additional oak to this kit besides what came with the kit or is the supplied oak dust and beans sufficient?Just started this kit 1 week ago. Can't wait.

On my first one I just used the supplied oak and I left the cubes in for 3 months. That may be too long unless you like a lot of oak It seems to keep getting stronger with each sampling. The supplied oak is plenty IMHO.

Glad to hear. It is easy to sample along the way until happy with the level of oak. Are you saying it got stronger with sampling while bulk aging or now that you are opening bottles?

Now that I am opening bottles it seems that the oak has gotten stronger and more pronounced than when sampled at bottling.

i just took my red mtn cab off the oak after 8 days....tasted and it would hit you like a louisville slugger.....the local winemaker said that oak used like we do will definitely strengthen over time.....not sure what 8 months of oaking would do.....seems it would be too much for my taste....but this kit seems to be a winner and is clearing as we speak, then 6 months of bulk aging at least.

Oak is such a personal thing. One mans perfection is another's "Chateau Plywood".

Mine was in for ~3 months and that did seem to intensify from 3-14 months. Now it has leveled off at almost 2 years so it really seems like its constantly changing like the entire bottle of wine changes over time.

I put my first kit in a new 23L barrel for 4 weeks and pulled it out as the oak seemed pretty heavy. Now 5 months later you can't taste it or smell any vanilla so its back in the barrel for another month.

I think its pretty obvious that oaking a wine via barrel and oak chips is totally different.

Kinda like the difference between lobbing a hand grenade and a small tactical nuke!
smiley34.gif

The Red Mountain Cab is awesome!!!!!! Mine is about 15 months old and is really good! What i will say about oak is however long you decide to keep it on oak once you take it off oak it will not get stronger. The oak will take time to integrateand then mellow over time, now that time is directly proportional to how much you had in there to begin with, but once it is overoaked if you will the only way out is to blend it with like wine. I just used the supplied oak but what i will say is with the oak cubes they provide especially with Cellar Craft on most of there wines except for maybe the ones that come with double oak, My experience has been they tend to be more fruit foward and not as oaky as say Mosti Mondiale IMHO. Ikept the supplied oak for three months and it's really good doesn't seem to be overoaked by any means whatsoever and definately fruit foward!
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back