Cellar Craft CC Showcase Lodi Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom Lausic

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Getting ready to make my CC Showcase Zinfandel, which I am very excited for! I've put together my plan of attack and wanted to see if anyone had some feedback for this particular kit/style. I've read through a bunch of threads, and the only thing I'm not too certain about are whether any more oak/tannin additions are necessary. Let me know your thoughts!

1. Start the kit with the juice and skins pack
-will not use Bentonite (or other clarifiers), as I plan to bulk age for a year.
-will not use nylon bag for skins pack.
-plan to fill primary to 23L mark (checking SG to aim for 1.100). Don't think I need to concentrate but adding less water?
2. Oak chips: 3 packs are included with the kit. American oak medium, Medium Heavy oak blend, American oak light. I imagine that this would be sufficient?
3. Pitching BM4x4 for the yeast.
4. EM is planned for about 3 weeks (although I see some of you go up to 8 weeks!).
-should I do more than 3 weeks?
5. Rack to carboy and bulk age for 1 year.
-No plans for additional oak/tannin (not sure if anyone has any recommendations?)
6. Bottle

It's my first time making this kit, so I was thinking of making it to spec to give me a baseline. But I also don't want to miss an opportunity to help improve this wine as I plan to age for a while.

Looking forward to any suggestions!

My suggestion is to make it according to directions, up until time to bulk age it a bit. Then taste it and decide if you think it needs more oak at that point or not. Nobody here knows exactly what level of oak you think is appropriate. Personally, when I think Zinfandel, I think a lighter, fruitier, very, very light oak. But that's just me.

Sub point B under #1 indicates that you'll put the skins pack in w/o a bag, and point C says you'll fill to 23L. I believe you find that instructions say to fill to 23L, stir and then add the grape pack.

Back