Cellar Craft CC LE Kits and 7.9 Gallon Primaries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutstix

Reaction score
I have a few of these kits ready to go into some primaries, but I am a little concerned I might have a mess on my hands (and my wife's carpet!!). These are the kits that have the larger grape packs. I have been keeping my eyes open for a 10 gallon brute locally, but have come up empty handed.

Has anyone here done these kits with the grape "super pack" in a 7.9 gallon primary? Did you have any overflow problems?

I realize that I can split between two primaries, but would like to keep the "super pack" in contact with all of the juice.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!!

ts

You could go to Home Depot or another big box and bute a small brute garbage can. If you do a search on here you'll see what to look for on the bottom of it to ensure it is food grade. Otherwise mix up your batch and spit it between two primaries.

Good question. I recently made the Rosso Fortissimo Reserve Cuvee, a limited edition kit with the BIG grape pack - and placed it in my normal 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket. I had no trouble whatsoever.... overflow was not an issue at all.
Two of my neighbors did the same thing with their LE kits and everything went smooth as silk.
So - based on my experience - I'd say "no worries"!
Hope that helps.

For this very reason I ordered and use a ten gallon fermentor, which I ordered from finevinewines.com. It works well, but does not seal like your 7.9 does, so you can't ferment to dry in it.

You will likely be OK for these LE kits. Now for a Mosti Mondiale Meglioli kit with the giant grape pack, you would certainly need the 10-gallon bucket.

If you are still concerned, buy yourself a small tub that is a few inches greater in diameter than your fermenter bucket. Set your bucket in it, so it can catch any overflow.

Latest posts

Back