CBC-1 or just continue with EC-1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniwine

Junior
Reaction score
Hello im making a sparkling berry wine. It started on about 85 OG and i has now stopped at 30. I have some CBC-1 which i wondered if i should pitch in to make it ferment down to about 1.000? I also have the rest of my EC-1118 which i guess would be my other alternativ. I have not racked it yet. It has been brewing for 6 days at 18 degrease celius ( 65f?)

Hello im making a sparkling berry wine. It started on about 85 OG and i has now stopped at 30. I have some CBC-1 which i wondered if i should pitch in to make it ferment down to about 1.000? I also have the rest of my EC-1118 which i guess would be my other alternativ. I have not racked it yet. It has been brewing for 6 days at 18 degrease celius ( 65f?)
EC-1118 is a workhorse, if it won’t get you home, there’s a problem. In your case, it may be temps, a bit warmer would help a lot. Try to get it up to 75F (24C), and see if that helps. A little nutrient may help too. At your current SG, Fermaid O would be my choice.

EC-1118 is a workhorse, if it won’t get you home, there’s a problem. In your case, it may be temps, a bit warmer would help a lot. Try to get it up to 75F (24C), and see if that helps. A little nutrient may help too. At your current SG, Fermaid O would be my choice.

I will try to increase the temp and see if that will help, dont think they have Fermaid O at the local brewshop. (Live in norway) Do you have any other suggestions for nutrients or would any nutrient for wine/yeast suffice? Do you recommend racking it about now?

Thanks alot for helping me already!

I will try to increase the temp and see if that will help, dont think they have Fermaid O at the local brewshop. (Live in norway) Do you have any other suggestions for nutrients or would any nutrient for wine/yeast suffice? Do you recommend racking it about now?

Thanks alot for helping me already!
I don’t think racking would help. Yeast need little to do what they do, sugar, nutrients, reasonable pH, and favorable temps. The need for oxygen is passed. You have sugar, so we’re good there. EC-1118 isn’t a nutrient hog, so I only suggested it as an afterthought, but at this stage of fermentation, Fermaid O is the better choice as it’s organic and wont leave residual nitrogen in your wine. try getting the temps up first, that’s your best bet for now. If you can test your pH (not with strips), it’d be interesting to know.

If this was initially a commercial clarified juice then the nutrient content is often very low, yeast will struggle to finish without added nutrients, but as @Johnd indicated above it may be a little late to add now.

Back