Carboy Handles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Found this carboy handle on e-bay. Has ayone ever used this type? George, do you have any info on them?

2005-12-16_180544_3a_1.jpg

Wow! thats a serious looking getup there. Would make lifting a full carboy easier. I like the idea of wet hands and carboys not coming together. Another toy! thanks Waldo.

berry

I'd have a few concerns, though. Call me a skeptic. I don't want to be "Martina-Downer" (SNL) but here it goes:

What happens if your carboy is not the exact size? It looks as though you need to have a 5 gallon carboy at least. I'd be frightened that the carboy could possibly slip through that thing when full. In my opinion, the bottom needs to be supported. The sides aren't just enough for me.

The nice thing about it, though, is that you can adjust the place where you tighten it. If it would have a bottom support system, I'd be sold.

Hey, you patent people: create one of those things with a plastic (or fabric, like the brew-hauler thingie) at the bottom, and we've got a winner, I think! Just wait, I'm giving my idea which is worth millions away like it were water in a flooded area.

Okay, I located it on ebay just now...

8 bucks? Kinda pricey. Look at the prices for the airlocks with bungs. Plus 2.50 for shipping? George has better prices.
smiley1.gif
Hands down.

I have to agree with Martina please post a picture with it installed I know some carboyshave smooth sides and some have raised lines on themwitch I thank this handle would work best on.

Looking at the mechanics of it I think it will work great as long as you can get it tight. It looks like the bolts are long enough for it to fit several sizes. At work we pick things up that weigh over lbs using a similar concept. Make me nervous every time but, there has never been a problem.

I shall step forth as the Forum guinea pig and buy one of these rascals and will be giving an update on their functionality later. Grab a bottle of wine and stay tuned !!!!
smiley1.gif

I would be leary about "petroluem" plastics these days. Kinda like a 5-gal. drywall bucket left in the sun...it looks ok till you carry something of considerable weight in it and then the handle snaps off being exposed to the sunlight rays.

I would be very worried about carrying glass like Martina stated...If it had some type of support on the bottom to distribute the weight...well maybe, and then most likely not.

Back