Carboy airlock failed - Need Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaWiner

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a Shiraz from a kit and will be bottling soon. The wine is in a carboy with airlock. I just noticed that the "float" part of the airlock was not installed, and the wine has been exposed to the air for about a month. Granted, it is a small opening, but the wine has been open to the air. Would like some thoughts on if the wine is worth bottling or if I should not waste my time and throw it out?

Smell and taste. If it tastes good, you're fine. If it doesn't, judge by how bad it is. Wine that has off flavors can still be good for cooking.

I'd hit it with K-meta ASAP.
Thanks for the reply. How much K-META for a 6 gal kit? And what should I expect it to do?

I use 1.5 grams of Potassium Metabisulphite for 6 gallons. I'd bottle it, most of the work is behind you now. You never know until it is aged. The very first kit wine I made had things go wrong and I thought it was not going to be very good. Ended up winning a silver medal in the wine maker mag competition with it after it aged several years.

Typical dosage is 1/4 tsp K-meta for 5/6 gallons of wine. I'd go heavy on that, probably 3/8 tsp.

You will see no obvious reaction when you stir it in.

It is highly likely that your wine is fine, or minorly affected. How long has the wine been bulk aging, and how much sediment do you have?

Typical dosage is 1/4 tsp K-meta for 5/6 gallons of wine. I'd go heavy on that, probably 3/8 tsp.

You will see no obvious reaction when you stir it in.

It is highly likely that your wine is fine, or minorly affected. How long has the wine been bulk aging, and how much sediment do you have?
Was in the first carboy for 6 weeks, then I racked it. Has been in second carboy 5 weeks and virtually no sediment now.

Add the K-meta and stir gently. If necessary, clean and sanitize a thief and a large cup. Withdraw enough wine so that you can stir, then add the wine back after stirring.

How long are you planning to bulk age? I'd keep it in bulk another month or two.

How's the smell and taste?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back