Cape Cod Stripers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Had a great time on my annual fishing trip to Cape Cod over the weekend. The weather turned out nice but it was a bit rough with swells 3-5 feet at times.

Lots of seals are now residents on the beach at Monomoy Point and this is one of the reasons for the increase of shark sightings near the Cape over the past few years.

20060828_050545_Seals.jpg

We didn't catch any really big fish but got a few that were close to 40".

My biggest fish:

20060828_050923_My_fish.jpg

Another one of the bigger fish caught:

20060828_051837_Tom_Fish.jpg

Normal practice is not to chum for striper fishing but one of the boys got sick and we ended up coming back early since he was in rough shape after 4 hours of attracting fish to the boat!!
smiley11.gif

20060828_051142_Tim_Chum.jpg

A great day on the water and good time for all even Tim who recovered after a nap on the way in and some beer and good food.

The days catch of keepers and we also had 8-10 Bluefish we brought back for a lobster man friend of the captain who uses it for bait.

20060828_051531_Fish_Boat.jpg

Masta: Oh how I wish I lived near the ocean.... Nice catch... Was he seasick, or to much wine?????

Awesome lookin fish bud! I got to do a little fishin while I was there. Did some deep sea for cod and flounder off the cape. The strippers look great! I love eating blues though so the lobstermen would have to find their own bait...LOL.

Pete

No manatee sightings for us..

From the New York Times 8/25/06:

"The manatee, which biologists believe is the same one spotted in the Hudson River two weeks ago, was spied in the waters off Falmouth, Mass., on Aug. 17. The creature, which officials believe is about 12 feet long and weighs 1,500 pounds, was last seen off North Kingstown, R.I., on Tuesday, hundred of miles from its home off the Florida coast.

"It's, to our knowledge, the northernmost sighting of a manatee ever documented," said Cathy Beck, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Gainesville, Fla."
He was sea sick but did recover later to help us eat some of the food and drink sangria, white wine and beer.

I only had bluefish once and that was enough...much too strong for me. I hear it is good smoked.

I'm glad you had a good trip. I haven't been salt water fishing in years. Using bluefish for lobster bait is sacrilege! Baked in the oven it's great. You can remove some of the dartk meatt if it's too strong. I wish they fished for blues in the Gulf. They consider them trash fish. I think they're the best fighting fish there is (# for #).

A man of many talents. Great looking fish there and fairly calm seas with blue skies and good friends and food. Sounds like agreat yearly trip.

Masta,

Looks like you had a great outing!
smiley32.gif

I'm with you on the bluefish, great fun to catch but, unless you bleed them rigth away and cut away all that very dark meat...............yuck
smiley11.gif

Some folks around here make a "false crab cake" out of them and try to pass them off as the real deal but they have a distinctive flavor and you can have it.

Latest posts

Back