Candy Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I can see the milk sour, next time ferment to dry, stabilize backsweeten with a 12 candy canes, peppermint extract (I use Watkins) and a bottle of corn syrup. I bring my sg up to 1.030 and I add chocolate prior to backsweetening to get a nice chocolate finish, like a peppermint patty.

I think the milk sour is due to not enough peppermint and not backsweeten enough. This needs to be a sweet wine.

I am not sure what we did or didn't do but this turned out terrible and we dumped it out.... which was weird because the only things I had put in it so far was candy canes ... water and yeast... oh well it was just an experiment.

:slpOh what a waste throwng this out. If you haven't learned anything on this forum, there is always something you can do with that wine. I made 6 gallons of the exact same wine with an entire grocery cart filled with candy canes reduced to .10 a box after Christmas. I delicately tweaked it each month after fermentation.

When it was all said and done it made the best toilet bowl cleaner I've had. :)

Haha really? It's bad enough for toilet bowl cleaner? I've got a batch that I made up in march. Haven't tries it in a few months. Hoping it tastes okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha really? It's bad enough for toilet bowl cleaner? I've got a batch that I made up in march. Haven't tries it in a few months. Hoping it tastes okay.

Im sure it will be fine, Dan kept adding everything but the kitchen sink to his, when he added the Kool aid, I told him he went to far

Have you backsweeten yours yet? Read what I did in an earlier post, I have had people wanting to know how to get on my Christmas list to get a bottle.

HA HA Julie! I only added the koolaid because I lost the red stripe in the wine and it was all white. I was only trying to get the red back which I did, but then the dang white stripe disappeared.

Ill have to check it out this weekend. I back sweetened with karo syrup some peppermint extract and also added chocolate. Didn't taste that good last I tried it. Wouldn't mind swapping a bottle with you Julie to see if its right. Pm me an addy and when I bottle ill send one out.

My candy Cane is now in the bottle and looks great. It came out looking like a white Zin. Almost a blush. And it has been approved by my taste-testing panel. ABV of 10.5%. Since I only made a 3 gal batch, it will have to be doled out carefully!

so i decided to make this wine i have 11 packs of 12 thats 132 candy canes or 3.63lb. so i was gonna do a 5 gallon batch. so i was gonna do 132 canes and do a 5lb of banana soup for body. after i was gonna add sugar till i got approx 12 abv. after when clear i was gonna back sweeten with a little sugar or corn sugar and maybe some peppermint extract .... what do you think..

if i was gona add a little cocoa powder for some choclate flavor how much do you thin and when would i add it?

HA HA Julie! I only added the koolaid because I lost the red stripe in the wine and it was all white. I was only trying to get the red back which I did, but then the dang white stripe disappeared.
Dan,
When you say "white" do you mean like a nice clear white wine, or a cloudy white?
I'm adding my yeast today, candy canes are all melted.
Some of the comments in this thread area scaring me and making me wonder about this toilet bowl cleaner....:s

Dan,
When you say "white" do you mean like a nice clear white wine, or a cloudy white?
I'm adding my yeast today, candy canes are all melted.
Some of the comments in this thread area scaring me and making me wonder about this toilet bowl cleaner....:s

Doug,

You will be fine. Dan kept dicking with his and that is why it turned into toilet bowl cleaner. Only put enough candy canes in to bring sg to around 1.080. And when you go to backsweeten, melt down another box of candy canes, this will give you a nice color and you will need to add peppermint extract to bring out the mint flavor. And no the wine will not be cloudy white, it will be crystal clear. I finally got mine bottled, so I should be getting it into the mail this week.

Julie,
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I look forward to tasting yours.
One answer I can't seem to find in any of the threads is "How much water" did you add to make the 3 gallons?
Make sure to PM me your address too!
Thanks again.

I don't know how much water, I used 6 cans of Welch's frozen white grape concentrate and it took me 54 canes to get to 1.084, I used about a cup of water to heat up the canes and once I had them all dissoved, I when I had that all done and the juice in, I just added enough water to bring it up to 3 gallon.

JULIE can you please explain what you mean by that silly remark!:wy:sh

:sh
IMAG0719.jpg

:sh
IMAG0718.jpg

Dan,
wow, I'm impressed! ...and you call this a hobby?
Julie's comment was right on the mark!!!!:se!

Wolf, while I admire your setup, I see it and admire how my family ever made great wine in sicily using just feet, grapes, a wooden tub, and olive oil. Its amazing how far this trade has come since louis pastuer discovered how wine was made from where it began. Sorry to get sentimental lol.

Thanks Barryjo. First off if I order from some place like Cynmor Scientific the shipping kills you on the first few items but after that it barely goes up so I make it worth my while. You're only seeing a very small portion of what I really have because it's behind cupboard doors. For instance I have 6 1000ml Erlenmeyer flasks that I use for blending trails but also for yeast starters when I pick up a quantity of juice pails. Some things I got just because they were a deal I couldn't pass up.

Back