Can you stabilize a stuck wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBill

Reaction score
I have a spiced apple that has been stuck at 1.02 for 2 weeks. It is a 2 gallon batch and I racked into 1 gallon jugs at 1.03. This started out at 1.13 with red star champagne yeast. I have done a ton of searching stuck fermentation on here and I think I could get it started again but I think if it would stabilize now I wouldn't need to back sweeten. It tastes pretty good where it is for month old wine anyway. What would you all do?

I think you have maxed out the yeast alcohol tolerance . That is almost 15% ABV. I would call it done.

I have to agree with mmadmikes1 I think it is time that you added sorbate and kmeta to stabilize it then let it sit for thirty days before bottleing you don't want it to start fermentation after you have bottled your wine

I thought that may be the case. I just added k-sorbate and k-bisulfite at racking. This is going to age another 3-4 months before bottling so plenty of time to see if things start to percolate again. Thanks alot!

Bill

It wont. In the future, if you max out the yeast you don't need sorbate if you are waiting months to bottle. Still need the sulfite to help stop oxidation

A bit late I guess, but you made the correct assumption. Unless you like the way this ferment progressed and want to repeat later, I would look at using a dif. yeast next time if your starting SG is that high. Like mike said, your yeast couldnt handle an ABV that high so it laid down on you. It should be a nice sweet taste for you though, so you may like the way it finishes. If not, try a lower starting SG or use a yeast with a higher ABV tolerance for a little variety on the next batch.

Latest posts

Back