can you heat wine and return it to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I need some of my wine to backsweeten with. Can i remove some, heat slightly, mix in sugar and return to carboy

I would say you could. Try to keep the temperature well below the boiling point of alcohol (173 degrees F) and enough to help the sugar dissolve.

Last edited:
That is how I backsweeten...never with water but with a small amount of the wine.

Yes - just put the burner on low/simmer - the sugar will dissolve in about 10 mins w/o boiling it or getting to hot.

Slowly add back into your carboy..

If you have not degassed - you can stir as you add it - warmer temps will aid in releasing the CO2.

Are you gonna bottle right away? I gave up diluting sugar and took the advice of someone on here who said just to dump it in the carboy in proportion needed, then stir gently with a long handled spoon. Sounded nice and rednecky to me!

:)

Lo and behold, it works! I leave it a few days to a week, to make sure it is all dissolved, stir a bit more and bottle.

Add a few cups of wine to a pot, add 3-4 ounces of sugar. Disolve then use that to determine the correct sweetness for your taste and take a hydrometer reading. You can mix the dry wine and sweetened wine in a beaker.

Once you have found the correct specific gravity, add all of the sugar wine to your carboy and take a reading. Calculate how much sugar you need then make up in the pot what you need.

You will notice once the sugar is fully dissolved there will be white streaks in the wine. That is sugar not fully dissolved. Continue stirring until all is dissolved. Wait about 30 seconds more and turn off the heat. Heat on the lowest flame or setting. Never even bring it to simmer, just warmed up good.

Leave it in the pot a few minutes more then blend back into your carboy. Take a final gravity reading and record for your records.

I like to aim low on the amount of sugar needed as I can always add extra. 4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise one gallon of wine .010

If your wine is less than .990 you will need to get a reading up to .990 or above to be accurate.

Allow your wine to rest a few weeks and if no refermentation you may bottle. Recommend adding some pot. sulfite, and pot. sorbate to prevent yeasts, if any from reproducing.

Latest posts

Back