Can we discuss degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make yourself some dragons blood. That seems to be a good wine that you can drink early. I just made my first batch, waiting for it to clear back up after I back sweetened. Should be ready to drink within a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

There's another thing I failed to mention on this discussion of some wines not wanting to clear during bulk aging. On fruits like peaches, pears and apples--don't be afraid to double up on the dose of pectic enzyme. It is the one thing you can add too much of without consequences. That double dose on the fruit before you start the ferment will help ALOT in getting them to clear. Those 3 fruits are just SO dense--so you want to be sure you get them broken down as best you can--I think this also has something to do with WHY they can be so difficult as far as clearing goes.

I added another dose if peptic enzyme to my apple wine a week or so ago, so I'm hoping the warmer temps help. Since we're on the subject if clearing, if I wanted to add some more bentonite, do I have to mix it with water or can I take a sample of the wine out and mix it with that? I do have some lees dropping and was planning in racking it off this weekend and was thinking if adding some more bentonite and possibly a little more pectin enzyme

I'm thinking that if the bentonite didn't eliminate the cloudiness the first time, why would it work on a second dose? Try the pectic enzyme first and get the wine to a warmer spot.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted. I did add the peptic and have it wrapped in a blanket in my closet. I'm waiting for my we le Shiraz cab to get a good ferment and I'll move the brew belt to it.

But back to the bentonite question, I'm getting ready to do juice buckets for the first time this year and want to use bentonite in the primary. Most if the kit I have made have you mix it with water, and it makes sense since the juice needs to be reconstituted. But if I'm using 100% juice I wouldn't think I'd want to add around a half gallon of water like in the kits. Can I just add the bentonite and give it a good stir half way threw fermentation? Or does it need the water?

Just make yourself some dragons blood. That seems to be a good wine that you can drink early. I just made my first batch, waiting for it to clear back up after I back sweetened. Should be ready to drink within a week or so.

As in, how early? Do you mean a week after it comes out of the fermenting vat and into the carboy ?

Most people I see are drinking it in a month or so. That should be right around my timeline as well. Much better than the year most of my wines and meads will be aging for. I did a blackberry wine before I saw the dragons blood recipe, so pretty much the db without lemon or tannins, and at 3 months I thought it was fantastic.

You only have to use 1/2 cup water to prepare the bentonite. Use water. Some people put it in a blender to be sure they have no lumps.

Depends on how big of a hurry your in. Time will de-gas any wine. In my experience sweeter wines are slower to de-gas. If you decide to de-gas don't over do it and whip in air/O2 (I did that as a newbie). If there is substantial CO2 it will not clear until the CO2 dissipates. As the C)2 is being released tiny bubbles grab tiny particles and keep them in suspension. As the CO2 depletes, these particles will eventually make their way to the bottom and stay there. Whipping out the CO2 just speeds up that process.

What happens to the wine if you whip in O2? Oxidation?
Just curious.....I degassed a wine for a long time, and then had a bad reaction when I added a clearing agent (Super Kleer). Trying to pinpoint what went wrong :)

Definitely making some newbie mistakes! But life's about learning, and I'm having fun along the way :D

Also.....will pectic enzyme strip any flavor? After reading this, if it's doesn't clear in a few weeks, I think I might hit it with pectic enzyme and warm 'er up!

Rosa--Yes O2 injection into a wine can definitely cause oxidation. I just recommend that you don't degass wines that aren't kits or designed for early drinking. When you bulk age your wines, you'll see the benefits of it.

No--pectic enzyme will not strip flavors. That's why--when working with dense fruits--that you can double the doseage if you want. Not sure what you mean by a bad reaction to the Super Kleer. I've used it only a couple times and even had one instance where it didn't work. When you have a stubborn wine that won't clear, the first thing you should always try is pectic enzyme before going to other tactics.

Rosa--Yes O2 injection into a wine can definitely cause oxidation. I just recommend that you don't degass wines that aren't kits or designed for early drinking. When you bulk age your wines, you'll see the benefits of it.

No--pectic enzyme will not strip flavors. That's why--when working with dense fruits--that you can double the doseage if you want. Not sure what you mean by a bad reaction to the Super Kleer. I've used it only a couple times and even had one instance where it didn't work. When you have a stubborn wine that won't clear, the first thing you should always try is pectic enzyme before going to other tactics.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm not quite up to the level of bulk aging a wine yet......although I might be there! lol

I have only made 2 batches of Dragon's Blood and a few wine kits.

I included a picture, in case anyone has had this reaction as well. The first batch of dragon's blood (triple berry) seemed to clear right before my eyes.

My second batch of dragon's blood (blueberry only) did this weird thing with the second part of the "super kleer" packet. When I added it this time, it caused a lot of clumping that seems to be floating and not sinking....:?

Someone told me to try to get it off and top up the carboy, which is what I did today. But I also added some pectic enzyme, just in case........
I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. It will be disappointing if I can't get it to clear

2014-03-15 20.16.24.jpg

I see what you're saying about all the floating particulate matter. I'm not sure what that is, but if you didn't use pectic enzyme before, or just a regular dose then the added enzyme at this time might just help. Let it sit for a couple weeks in a warm area and see what happens. You could also rack it off and leave that stuff behind--that might help too. The color is very beautiful!

Thanks Turock!

I added pectic enzyme and I have it warm. I'm waiting to see what happens. I think it looks a little better already.....I hope it's not wishful thinking!

I do love the color, too! VERY happy with what my blueberries accomplished! :b

I definitely don't want to do anything that would strip color/flavor from the wine...

1st time making dandelion wine. Is this too much space in my 1 gal carboy? 1st rack from primary.
Fruit used: orange, lemon, golden raisin. Should I use a k-meta to help clear? My recipe didn't call for it, being a recipe from days without electronics.

Attachments

• Resized_20190612_163746.jpeg
    Resized_20190612_163746.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 29
I thought it was alot of headspace too. This was straight from my primary open container ferment 2 days ago. It is now supposed to sit for 2-3 months.
My dilemma is should I immediately put it into a smaller carboy with less headspace and add k-meta?

I thought it was alot of headspace too. This was straight from my primary open container ferment 2 days ago. It is now supposed to sit for 2-3 months.
My dilemma is should I immediately put it into a smaller carboy with less headspace and add k-meta?

I would either go to a zero headspace container, or get a headspace eliminator.

Back