Basic degassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicotine is a strong poison, especially when ingested. Tobacco water is a great insecticide. How much nicotine would be introduced?

Did not know that about tobacco water.
No idea how much would be introduced..
My extracts - spice, herbs, or fruit soaked in vodka or Everclear - take 2 months or MUCH longer (depending on the ingredient) to get the flavor. Perique liqeuer, made from perique tobacco, has very little nicotine. Apparently the nicotine is "heavy" and settles.

I think anything and everything is poisonous if you ingest enough.

The exception - of course - is wine. :h

Everything depends on how much is extracted. Didn't mean to squash the idea, just advising caution. You're right. Everything can be a poison if ingested in excess, even water.

By the way, alcohol is one of the best solvents for organic compounds and chemicals. That is why it is used for extracting flavors from herbs and spices. And that is why I very much doubt it would settle out. Toddlers have died from swallowing cigarette butts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

Everything depends on how much is extracted. Didn't mean to squash the idea, just advising caution. You're right. Everything can be a poison if ingested in excess, even water.

By the way, alcohol is one of the best solvents for organic compounds and chemicals. That is why it is used for extracting flavors from herbs and spices. And that is why I very much doubt it would settle out. Toddlers have died from swallowing cigarette butts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning
No, I didn't think you were squashing the idea. It was very much a thought experiment and I was wondering if tobacco could add a unique and positive flavor component. I was intrigued by the idea and did more research. Tobacco has been cultivated for 3,000 years but I only found a couple examples of it in food or part of food prep to add flavor. That darn toxicity turns people off. But then there are examples of foods that are poisonous in their natural state that require specific preparation to become edible.

Toddlers are a different matter. I ate a box of my grandmother's ex-lax because I thought it was chocolate. I think we all go through a if-it-fits-in-my-mouth-it-must-be-food stage. A wonder so many of us survive.

Latest posts

Back