Can anyone recommend a good Cab and/or Petit Syrah?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regmata

Reaction score
I am new to wine making and have only tried a few white kits so far. I tend to be pickier with my reds. I have been hesitant to try them since I have doubts that I will find any that are up to par. That is where you guys come in. Are there any good kits out there worth giving a go?

Thanks!

I am new to wine making and have only tried a few white kits so far. I tend to be pickier with my reds. I have been hesitant to try them since I have doubts that I will find any that are up to par. That is where you guys come in. Are there any good kits out there worth giving a go?

Thanks!
Kits do make good wine so long as you give them more time than the directions suggest. Pay for a more expensive kit $100+ and it will make good wine. Let me recommend a couple
http://eckraus.com/cabernet-sauvignon-wine-kit/

http://eckraus.com/european-select-cabernet-sauvignon/

http://eckraus.com/cellar-craft-sterling-collection-cabernet-sauvignon-california-reserve/

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Petite-Sirah-Wine-Making-Kit-For-5-Gallons-P3116.aspx

With last one you have to buy yeast nutrients, yeast, bentonite, and anything else you need but is a really good concentrate.

I tend to look for skins and larger size of the juice when choosing a red kit to make, meaning more liters of juice is better. Bulk aging in a carboy after fermentation will also help, like as long as you can, a year+, adding potassium metabisulfite every three months, 1/4 tsp for 5-6 gallons.

Winexpert kits that have skins, like the Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz and the Bourbon Barrel Zinfandel Cabernet, which are 18liters and make good wine.

I would consider Under $100 kits low end. over 100 Medium, and 150-200 high end!

If a wine snob hesitant about quality of kit?
No question gotta go the high end lines for each brand.
WE Eclipse series kits with skins
18 months before putting into rotation.
I’ve made a couple. And have been gifted many more.
I don’t think you’ve got any other option for kits. BUT.....

You do realize it’s grape harvest right now right? I think that’s your ultimate answer to the issue my friend. ;)

If a wine snob hesitant about quality of kit?
No question gotta go the high end lines for each brand.
WE Eclipse series kits with skins
18 months before putting into rotation.
I’ve made a couple. And have been gifted many more.
I don’t think you’ve got any other option for kits. BUT.....

You do realize it’s grape harvest right now right? I think that’s your ultimate answer to the issue my friend. ;)
lol Yeah real grapes are the best.

Not sure what your point is. I don't use the price as my metric. I use volume of concentrate and presence/absence of skins as my leading indicators.
You can get kits with skins around 130$$ i measure by price because you always get better quality by paying more. just simple fact.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone, I really appreciate it.

When you say bulk aging after fermentation, do you mean that I should just leave the wine in the carboy I use for the "secondary fermentation" step for a year? If so, I am going to need more carboys...

Also, is there a difference in outcome between sodium metabisulfite and potassium metabisulfite. My kit came with the sodium variety...if memory serves, I wouldn't think the difference in the positive ion would make much of a difference but I don't want to screw anything up.

Use the sodium as a sanitizer, get the potassium metabisulfite for adding to the wine. And yes keep it in the carboy for a year adding 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite every 3 months. If noticable sediment rack at the 3 month intervals as well.

I made the Eclipse Cabernet, bought it from Label Peelers online, it was very tasty at 6 months and just keeps getting better.

Naturally if you plan to make changes in you wine it needs to be in a carboy. If you wine is finished and just needs to age, it can age in bottles.

So...leave it in a carboy for a year or just in the bottle for a year? Now I am confused...

Adding potassium metabisulfite won't change anything and neither would reracking every 3 months due to sediment.

If you are making a premium red kit with skins, it will drop sediment upto and past a year, if you don't mind it in the bottle and or you decant your wine then bottle whenever. If you object to sediment in the bottle then bulk age.

If you are making a premium red kit with skins, it will drop sediment upto and past a year, if you don't mind it in the bottle and or you decant your wine then bottle whenever. If you object to sediment in the bottle then bulk age.

This hasn’t been my experience. I have made premium kits with skins per directions and my kits do not drop sediment after bottling. It could be that you have deviated from the directions by adding ingredients, etc.

I have not made their cab or petit syrah but I have made RJS's En Primeur super Tuscan and found it to be a very good wine. Might be a brand and series worth considering.

I’ve made the Winexpert Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon and it was great!

If you have sediment issues add chitosan and kiselsol and you will have no problems in 2 days tops. That's what I do especially before barrel aging I just want to get all the junk out of the wine to avoid off flavors.

Latest posts

Back