Can anyone identify gooseberrys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Guy_Brad

Reaction score
Not exactly vineyard but i keep seeing recipes for gooseberry wine, and i believe i have wild gooseberrys growing in the woods behind my house, can anyone tell me for sure if they are or not from my picture? (im pretty sure they are)

gooseberry.jpg

Regular gooseberry stems are covered with spines. But newer varieties like Pickswell have been bred to have fewer or no stickers. The leaves and berries look like gooseberries to me.

Those are not like the goose berrys we have here in the western part of Tennessee. They do have thorns or stickers on the tunk, but the berries grow on the top most part of the plant, they look kinda like elderberries except they don't droop over, the cluster of berrys are shaped kinda like a Christmas Tree. I'm sure there are a lot of different kinda of goose berries, but those in the picture are not like ours.
Semper Fi

That looks like unripe currents to me.
Phil

If they're wild currants, they are likely Golden/Clove ... I planted a row of 25 of these this year

Latest posts

Back