Can’t kill the Sulfur smell.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If splash racking does not resolve the issue, the next level resolution for H2S is redulees or copper sulfate. I haven't had much luck with redulees (active ingredient is copper), so I go right to the copper solution. The copper will react with the H2S and precipitate out. The important thing is to only use the minimal amount of copper sulfate necessary to rid your wine of H2S. If you add more than that, the copper will stay in solution, which you do not want. Finding the right amount is determined through bench trials on smaller samples.

The drug store version works,
I agree with sour grapes, peroxide will not have any effect on rotten egg smell (H2S). The first question, , is the problem SO2? , the smell of sanitizer solution/ campdem tablets?

I'll say the smell of sanitizer / campden. Now that I know how to properly splash the wine I'll give that a few tries to see if it helps the problem.

All of the responses have been very helpful.

If splash racking does not resolve the issue, the next level resolution for H2S is redulees or copper sulfate. I haven't had much luck with redulees (active ingredient is copper), so I go right to the copper solution. The copper will react with the H2S and precipitate out. The important thing is to only use the minimal amount of copper sulfate necessary to rid your wine of H2S. If you add more than that, the copper will stay in solution, which you do not want. Finding the right amount is determined through bench trials on smaller samples.

Just ordered some copper solution.

It seems a few drops will do it. I take it you add the solution, replace the bung, then rack it again after a few days?

I'll say the smell of sanitizer / campden. Now that I know how to properly splash the wine I'll give that a few tries to see if it helps the problem.

It seems a few drops will do it. I take it you add the solution, replace the bung, then rack it again after a few days?

But the point is that if it is sanitizer/Campden (SO2), then you do not need to invoke copper to cure it. You only need that with sulfides and thiols (H2S, etc.)

It’s not that easy. Because you are playing with metal and something humans will consume, I take the addition seriously. You need to do trials and it will pretty obvious where the break is that the H2S disappears. Here is the worksheet that I used to sort out the sample and how that extrapolates.2BF300C1-F21A-4563-8182-C1C5247D1B67.jpeg

It’s not that easy. Because you are playing with metal and something humans will consume, I take the addition seriously. You need to do trials and it will pretty obvious where the break is that the H2S disappears. Here is the worksheet that I used to sort out the sample and how that extrapolates.View attachment 54855

Thanks for this. I see your point. Thankfully there are some YouTube videos further explaining how to bench test, and to rack it off once you have treated the whole batch.

Gill, It really sounds like your issue is SO2 from too much Metabisulfite (campden tablets) not h2s. Do not treat with copper.

Step one: Identify the smell, dissolve a campden table in a cup of water, cover it and come back after an hour and take smell it. I think you will find that is the smell your wine has.

Step two: Splash rack without campden and leave the carboy alone for 2 months. Repeat if needed.

If you are impatient then go with the Hydrogen peroxide suggestion.

Gill, It really sounds like your issue is SO2 from too much Metabisulfite (campden tablets) not h2s. Do not treat with copper.

Step one: Identify the smell, dissolve a campden table in a cup of water, cover it and come back after an hour and take smell it. I think you will find that is the smell your wine has.

Step two: Splash rack without campden and leave the carboy alone for 2 months. Repeat if needed.

If you are impatient then go with the Hydrogen peroxide suggestion.

I tried your suggestion, while I didn’t pick up the same smell, what you say makes sense. I read something that led to my miss understanding. I’ll keep racking and give it some time. Wine making isn’t as easy as making beer. It’s much more forgiving by what I have been told by colleagues.

Latest posts

Back