Campden Killing my Color?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okree

Reaction score
I racked my 6 gallons of muscadine today. It was a nice dark ruby color.... until dosing withK-Sorbate (1.5tsp) and campden (6 tablets), now it's a washed-out blush. Is the kmeta bleaching the color? I'm not very hopefull that the color will return. I had named this batch Dark Beauty..... oh well.

Yes, the K-meta will strip the color. It happened to me with a fresh strawberry. It went from a beautiful red to orange! The answer? Use ascorbic acid instead of the campden tablets as it will protect it from oxidizing and not strip the color.

The only problem with that is ascorbic acid is not a long lasting anti oxidant like k-meta is.

Also if you are backsweettening, you need both the k-meta and the sorbate to keep it from refermenting.....

Am I to assume the k-meta typically is going to bleach any red wine or does it happen only with some varieties?

The color is not as important as the taste but it is not far behind.

I don't think it strips color from any grapes. It is mainly some types of fruit.

Latest posts

Back