Campdem tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
What is the difference between potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite. The camp den tablets I have are the sodium. Will this affect the wine in a negative way??

The difference is the sodium. It just adds salt to the wine where the potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) does not. The k-meta is generally more popular for that reason.

The supplier I get my stuff from is a retired bio chemist turned booze maker so I decided to ask him this same question last Saturday. Basically this is what he said:

Sodium metablahblah is better for sterilization where as Potasium metablahlblahblah is better for preservation and protection of wine.

He basically boiled it down to: Would you throw salt into your wine every time you racked?

It made sense, but I am sure every one has their way of doing things.

A lot of people use the sodium metabisulfite for sterilization instead of the k-meta because of the cheaper price.

Some people use the sodium for sanitizing because it's cheaper, and the potassium for wine additions because they don't wish to add sodium to their wine.

BTW, both sodium and potassium are salts (or at least should be to a chemist).

BTW2, table salt is NaCl or Sodium Chloride, not Na-meta.

BTW3, wine makers sanitize not sterilize.

Steve

Some people use the sodium for sanitizing because it's cheaper, and the potassium for wine additions because they don't wish to add sodium to their wine.

BTW, both sodium and potassium are salts (or at least should be to a chemist).

BTW2, table salt is NaCl or Sodium Chloride, not Na-meta.

BTW3, wine makers sanitize not sterilize.

Steve

you say tomatoes, i way...tom..a...toes. That joke doesn't work them typed does other?

Latest posts

Back