Other Calling all Amarone Afficionados

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I have perused many of the Amarone threads and I have finally built up my cellar enough to make a kit that I can put away for a couple of years. I need your help to advise me on which Amarone kit to choose as I plan to take advantage of George's April Fool's Day sale, which means I have to order by 4/6.

I would like to hear your opinions on the pros/cons of each vendor's offerings, especially any details about the grape packs/raisins that were included. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! That is some sale the FVW is having.

Here has been my experience with Amarone, which, incidentally, I really enjoy.

1. I made the CC Showcase Amarone and it was great.
2. I made the MM Renaissance Amarone with raisins and grape pack and I thought (and still do) that it was "thin," lacking body and mouth. Taste was just okay.
3. I have not made the RJS WS Amarone, but every other red I have made from that series was very good.
4. I have not made a RJS EP series wine. I have heard good things about these wines but my thinking was that the Winery Series was so great and the EP used to be more money so why go there?

Therefore, my current thinking is that you would be very pleased with any of these three: CC Showcase, RJS Winery Series or RJS EP.

I would also recommend that you wait for others to chime in with their experiences.

I am working on bulk aging my 3rd RJS EP Amarone. It would have been wonderful to see how the first aged... but I can't keep out of it!

I *TRY* to limit myself to 1 bottle per month. It is about a year and a half old and I only have a few bottles left.

Sorry, I don't have another kit to compare it to.

Based on my tasting of one a friend made, and my tasting the split from the RJS EP amarone I just bottled (after it sat in the carboy for a year) I'll give you an enthusiastic vote for the RJS En Primeur.

I will certainly make another of these and will watch for one on sale. Having said that, if I have room in my cellar, for me, I don't worry about a 20 dollar difference in a kit price if I'm going to be investing two years of carboy + cellar space in a wine - I'll justify it by buying and drinking a cheaper white kit :)

I made mine from Juice pails, one using Lalvin 71b, one using BM45 yeast, both taste amazing, will age them another year.

I have made Amarone for the last 10 years or so. My favorite has been CC Showcase. I have tried MM Renaissance and Impressions and they are OK but can't compete with Showcase. I am considering Winery Series this year, since I have loved everything else in their line.

Let us know what you decide.

I have done Wine Expert Internation, CellarCraft Showcase and Mosti Mondaile Meglioli. All with grape pack and or raisins. I recomend all of them. Mosti takes at least two years to develop but is excellent if allowed time. If you cant give it years to age go with one of the others. I just bottled the Cellar Craft a few months ago and tasted it last week, wow it is fantastic already but I dont know how it will develop with age. The Wine Expert was the second kit I ever made and is a very fond memory. I hope to do one of the new WE skins amarone this year. I also want ot do an RJ Spagnols EP 18ltr kit.
Whatever you decide, get the largest format kit you can afford with skins or raisins, at least 16ltr of juice.

Roger.. How is that Williams Brew PN Going?

Shawn, it is progressing quite well, now in week 2 of primary. SG is now .998 and it continues to work. The juice tasted outstanding. A little early to judge the final flavors but I am cautiously optimistic. These kits are pretty simple to make - 2 weeks in primary and 3 month in secondary and that's about it. I will rack to secondary this weekend and then put it to bed for a few months. Let the magic happen!

Amarone

In my opinion any amarone wine kit can be made and made better than expected,time is it's Alie and Patience is it's companion, with this wine type thinking outside the box is expected:HB...............

The CC Showcase Amanore is the only Amanore I have made. It is very good ( for me making it) not that experienced in the expensive kits. I bulk aged for 10 months and it has been in the bottle 2 months ( only 2 bottles drank so far - that is good for me - usually have to have it when it tastes that good). Going to let it set until at least Christmas. I have a CC WS Super Tuscan about 1 month behind that time table - and it is very good also.

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has any updates on their Amarone adventures. I started the CC Showcase Amarone 16 months ago and it is very delicious - still have 26 bottles left.

I am going to make another Amarone kit in August and I am just checking in here for updated opinions before I decide on another Showcase or take a shot at an RJS EP. Waddayathink?

Yep, I am completely fed up with Mosti Meglioli kits AGAIN. they simply will not clear. I started this years limited Meglioli Amarone and after five weeks of clearing it's still cloudy. I have now added a round of SuperKleer. I complained to George at FVW who said several folks have the same response with the Meglioli kits. George called Mosti, who said it's the grape pack and sent me a package of SuperKleer. Those kits are too expensive for the manufacturer to knowingly supply inept clearing agents then simply offer another brand of clearing agents. As much as I like their end result I think I should resend my earlier recommendation. On the other hand the Cellar Craft Showcase keeps getting better and better.

Amarone

I like the we amarone kits or fresh juice from Italy, however with the tweaks I impose on my wine it takes at least 3 to 5 years to become all it can be ,the first 1 to two years it's just getting its legs from that point forward it really takes on a presents of it's own.:wy

Amarone final pic (2).jpg

I made the megioli amarone kit mine has been bulk aging for 20 months. Time clears all wine without additives. These are high end kits, they take time.

I made the EP Amarone just over a year ago. It came with skins and raisins. I used the raisins in secondary. It is good, but is harsh. At a year old, I'm a little disappointed, but I see really good potential. Even though I knew this would take time, I was hoping it would be a little better early on. I'm sure in time I will be very happy with it. Interestingly, I started an EP Pinot Noir about a month after the Amarone and it is very harsh. I'm wondering if these kits just take a little longer to come around. All reviews I've seen on the EP Amarone have been very good.

The higher quality kits take longer. Much like wine made from fresh grapes. I will usually bulk age anywhere between 18 to 24 months bottle for a couple years before tasting a single bottle. Of course whites turn around much faster. Reds take time, but you will be rewarded for your patience

Back