RJ Spagnols California Cabernet EP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommBomb

Reaction score
Anyone make this one?

I bottled mine after 3 months bulk aging... and opened on last night after 2 more months in the bottle. I must say Im very pleased with this wine.. certainly equates to beyond a 15 dollar bottle wine in my eyes. Smooth as butter, thick tannins and a deep layer of oak. Classic cab.

Sounds delicious. I don't have that one, but I'm working on a Celler craft red Mountain cab and just got in an eclipse Lodi Ranch cab to Start.

I hope these turn out as good as yours.

I've done it, and am really happy with it.

Bulk aged it for a year (5 months in barrel), bottled it 9 months ago. Bottled 4 splits to try once a quarter.

At first it was too fruity forward, but it has mellowed on the fruit side and has picked up that currant, licorice flavor on the back end. Last split to try in Jan, than come March 1st, 26 bottles.

I also save one bottle for 3 years, and one for 4 years just to see how it will age. Think this one will be fine for 5 years at least.

Sounds good i think 18 to 24 months is do-able.

Holy crap vabeachbear.... you just owned me on that aging! lol. Im impressed.

If you have the right quality cork, should it not be good for much longer than 5 years?

Sounds good i think 18 to 24 months is do-able.

Holy crap vabeachbear.... you just owned me on that aging! lol. Im impressed.

If you have the right quality cork, should it not be good for much longer than 5 years?

Theoretically yes it would be. I've only been doing it for two years now, so I really don't know if the juice is good enough to make it that long. I do 4 hi end kits a year, and I'm just getting to the point where I can drink any of them.

5 years from now, I'll have a better idea of how long they can age. Tasting my EP Amarone at 2 years though, I think its pretty safe to say that will definitely make it past 5 years.

Update on this one.

Tried my last split last night, my two years aging will be done on March 1, so I figured I'd see how it was coming along.

Holy Cow, that "kit taste" fruit thing is 100% completely gone. My EP Super Tuscan and Amarone lost a lot of it, but not all of it. Nose is great, taste is great. It could have a little bit more on the back end and finish, and if it did, it would be right up there with a $40-$50 bottle of cab.

Interesting, this hobby, every kit is, acts, and turns out different!

This is the first kit I made last year. At 9 months old I gave the in-laws a bottle on their way home after a visit. Well, just before Christmas it was demanded that I will be bringing 2 bottles for a family Christmas dinner. :)

Latest posts

Back