WineXpert Cabernet Sauvignon (Vinter's Reserve)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnied

Reaction score
I am new to wine making ( this is my second batch) and I'm planning to purchase a Cabernet Sauvignon this weekend and start. Is there anyone out there that has made this kit? And if so, what did you do /would you have done differently?

Last edited:
I did the Vintner's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon as my first kit, and it was a wreck. I don't think it was the kits fault though. If you get the kit be sure to degas the snot out of it, and when you top off the kit when clarifying in the carboy consider adding some wine instead of just water.

The end result of my kit was too gassy (my fault - didn't degas well enough), and watery (I guess I blame the kit for this).

Also, plan on aging the wine some. I tried a bottle of mine about two weeks after bottling and it was terrible. Now, after 2 or 3 months, it's tolerable. Maybe in another 6 months it'll actually be enjoyable :)

That's not much of a review from my side I guess - just a warning to get the details right in making the wine, or the actual kit doesn't matter much :)

Good luck !

Thanks, thats good info to have! I'll make sure to degass well and store for at least 6 months before opening a bottle.

Did the kit come with oak? I'm thinking that I may add some extra when I rack the clearing and let it set on the oak for 30 days or so

If I remember right it came with one small pack of oak that was added right at the beginning with the yeast.

Yea, that what I thought as well. I'll add that as directed and the second oak later. Thanks for the info!

Do yourself a favor by spending a few extra dollars for either a Selection Original or International kit. WE 10L reds are like boxed wine compared to the larger 15L kits.

I agree with Slopenutz. Even adding another $20-$30 and get a Selection International will help greatly. I did the SI Chilean Cab last year and its much better than the VR pinot kit I did. Cellar Craft also has some kits that are reasonable and have grape skins. I don't know if you have CC available though

I did 2 VR kits last year and they are certainly drinkable but now I find I need more complex flavors and body. These VR kits for reds are thin. For the price they are great but I would step up to a better kit.

The local shop is limited to a couple of VR kits in stock. I'll try the VR first and get him to order me a better kit for the next batch.

Any ideas on the extra oak?

The local shop is limited to a couple of VR kits in stock. I'll try the VR first and get him to order me a better kit for the next batch.

Any ideas on the extra oak?

Adding extra oak shouldn't be a problem. JUST BE CAREFUL...My 2nd kit was a chard and I ended up overoaking it. All of the chard flavor is hidden by the extra oak that I added. A year and a half later and the oak still hasn't subsided.

For what it's worth, I did a VR riesling as my second kit, and it was much better than the cab. Maybe the watery thing isn't such a problem with whites as it is with reds. So if you want to try a VR, maybe try a white...

I'm doing the chilean merlot (Selection International) now, and I can say that so far it seems MUCH higher quality. It's in the primary fermenter, and the smell coming from it is amazing...

For what it's worth, I did a VR riesling as my second kit, and it was much better than the cab. Maybe the watery thing isn't such a problem with whites as it is with reds. So if you want to try a VR, maybe try a white...

I'm doing the chilean merlot (Selection International) now, and I can say that so far it seems MUCH higher quality. It's in the primary fermenter, and the smell coming from it is amazing...

The VR 10L whites are MUCH better than their reds. With that being said, It is still worth the extra $$ to get a 15L+ kit.

I did the Vintner's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon as my first kit, and it was a wreck. I don't think it was the kits fault though. If you get the kit be sure to degas the snot out of it, and when you top off the kit when clarifying in the carboy consider adding some wine instead of just water.

The end result of my kit was too gassy (my fault - didn't degas well enough), and watery (I guess I blame the kit for this).

Also, plan on aging the wine some. I tried a bottle of mine about two weeks after bottling and it was terrible. Now, after 2 or 3 months, it's tolerable. Maybe in another 6 months it'll actually be enjoyable :)

That's not much of a review from my side I guess - just a warning to get the details right in making the wine, or the actual kit doesn't matter much :)

Good luck !

I'm very curious about what you said about not degassing it properly. I followed the instructions as well and have a strong gas smell even after my wine kit has cleared. Cant seem to have anyone figure out what the smell actually is besides what I can say it as being a gassy smell and taste. Has your wine lost the gas smell and taste over time or is it actually ruined? I'm curious because mine just finished clearing a few days ago and its time to age but I hope I am not doing all of this for nothing.

I'm very curious about what you said about not degassing it properly. I followed the instructions as well and have a strong gas smell even after my wine kit has cleared. Cant seem to have anyone figure out what the smell actually is besides what I can say it as being a gassy smell and taste. Has your wine lost the gas smell and taste over time or is it actually ruined? I'm curious because mine just finished clearing a few days ago and its time to age but I hope I am not doing all of this for nothing.

In my case I don't think the wine is ruined - it's just not very good. There is definitely residual gas in the wine - when I pour a glass I wind up with bubbles around the edge of my wine glass. So what I do with the wine is decant it after opening the bottle, which helps some.

Do some research here on de-gassing if you have the same problem - gas has been my nemesis in my first few kits, but I think I have it whopped now :)

In my case I don't think the wine is ruined - it's just not very good. There is definitely residual gas in the wine - when I pour a glass I wind up with bubbles around the edge of my wine glass. So what I do with the wine is decant it after opening the bottle, which helps some.

Do some research here on de-gassing if you have the same problem - gas has been my nemesis in my first few kits, but I think I have it whopped now :)

Im just curious on how you have changed your degassing tactics now? I plan to whip the next batch until it stops foaming this time instead of for only a few minutes as the other directions had told me to.. Just wondering what methods you do now to make sure there is no more gas in your wine. Thanks for the help!

Im just curious on how you have changed your degassing tactics now? I plan to whip the next batch until it stops foaming this time instead of for only a few minutes as the other directions had told me to.. Just wondering what methods you do now to make sure there is no more gas in your wine. Thanks for the help!

I had two batches that I didn't de-gas properly, which annoyed me enough that I bought one of the 'medical aspirator' pumps off of Ebay that are discussed in these forums. You just hook the pump up to the wine in the glass carboy with a stopper that has a hole in it, and run it for a while - it makes degassing easy. Between that and one of the drill-mounted stirring rods, I hope to never have a degassing issue again :)

Just wondering what methods you do now to make sure there is no more gas in your wine. Thanks for the help!

Speaking only for myself, naturally: Besides using a drill-mounted stirring device -- the Mix-Stir -- and degassing much longer than recommended, the main thing is to test for gas before bottling. Use your wine thief to draw some out of the carboy and put it in a little bottle like you'd get on an airplane. Put your thumb over the top and shake like crazy. If goes "PFFT" and you feel gas rushing out when you take your thumb off, go back to work on degassing.

Sometimes it's a pain, but it's always worth it. You don't want to bottle gassy wine and have to deal with it every time you open a bottle.

Jim

Latest posts

Back