Cabernet Rib-eye Steaks!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
<DIV =asset-er>
<DIV =asset->By
<ADDRESS ="vcard author">WineCountry Staff</ADDRESS>on <ABBR =published title=2009-07-20T16:17:01-08:00>July 20, 2009 4:17 PM </ABBR>| Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)
<DIV ="asset-content entry-content">
<DIV =asset->
recipeMerryvale.jpg
Submitted by Chef Jim Filaroski of J. Alexander's

Wine Pairing: Merryvale Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Summer's here and the time is right... for a barbecue! Invite your friends over, uncork a bottle of Merryvale Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and get the coals hot. This great grilled rib-eye dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser and pairs impeccably with Merryvale's Cab.
<DIV id=more =asset-more>Ingredients:

<UL>
<LI>4 center cut ribeye steaks </LI>
<LI>4 oz olive oil </LI>
<LI>4 oz fresh porcini mushrooms </LI>
<LI>8 Tbsp diced shallots </LI>
<LI>1 cup diced white onions </LI>
<LI>8 tsp dark brown sugar </LI>
<LI>2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon </LI>
<LI>2 cups chicken broth </LI>
<LI>2 Bay leaves </LI>
<LI>4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar </LI>
<LI>8 tsp Dijon mustard </LI>
<LI>12 Tbsp softened butter </LI>
<LI>Salt and pepper to taste </LI>[/list]
Method:
Season meat with salt and pepper. Cook rib-eyes on grill to taste. Heat oil in skillet. Place shallots and onions in pan and sauté until onions are translucent. Add all remaining ingredients except butter, and reduce by half. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Remove bay leaves, ladle sauce on steaks and serve.

Servings: 4

Gonna try this tonight, I think, unless momma has something else planned.
<DIV =asset-more>
<DIV =asset-more>enjoy
<DIV =asset-more>
<DIV =asset-more>rrawhide

I have Porter House steaks that were cooked in a port wine at a restaurant and they were to die for. I have not tried this yet but some day I am going to do this and hopefully I can even come within 50% of how good this was.

WELL ALL - -
Momma surprised me with THIS dinner tonight. The only changes were we did not have shallots or bay leaves. Used our Syrah wine and everything else was the same. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Gonna do this over and over - - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

With a glass of syrah and a baked potatoe - couldn't be better. The flavors are indescribable (sp) and are still with me - - -

hope you all try it!!!!

later

rrawhide

smiley31.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif

Looks great. We make a very similar recipe here. The wife is a big fan of The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) and has all of her cook books. We were watching her show one day and she made an almost identical steak. We looked it up and it was in the book. It was fantastic and we cook it often.

It looks just out of this world. I was yesterday over at a friends bbq. He had the most amazing bbq technology and lovelly sauces. It came out a bit on the burned side. I believe the sauce had some sugar in...But these little peices are just sublime. To be tried very soon!

Tried this recipe on Friday night. Excellent, very very tasty. Highly recommended. For those of us that get distracted with kids running around while grilling, this sauce helps cover up any over-cooking or dryness/lean-ness to the meat. One downside - it uses up two cups of perfectly good wine to be cooked down! It almost hurts my soul to pour my painstakingly-crafted and patiently-awaited wine into the skillet to be mixed up with all the other stuff, no matter how good the final product will be!
smiley19.gif

Bart

Made it last night veeerrrrry good. I thought it was fine before adding all the butter maybe go without next time or cut it down.
Thanks for the recipe

I made this and it was very good, will make it again, I don't know what a shallot is but doubled up on the onions and used canned mushrooms (hey town if a long ride!!) and my dijon mustard is Frenches yellow...lol But it was good stuff!!

I have marinaded steak in different red wines for a while now and it is awesome on the grill.
smiley4.gif

This may sound weird, but I made this recipe about a week and a half ago, and had some leftovers. Pulled out the leftovers to eat as a snack, and forgot how old the steak had gotten in the fridge. As I finished the last delightful bite, I remembered it was about ten days old - just as good or better than when fresh! Incredible!

Bart

For those that have made this recipe, how long does it take to reduce the fluids by half? I need to get my timing down for when to start the meat.

If you look at the volumes of liquid, you realize you need to start with a large skillet, because it starts with a lot of stuff! 2 cups of wine, 2 cups of broth, 1 cup of onions, and 12 tbsp of butter! IT took about 20-25 minutes to cook down what I started with - a little more than half of the stuff in the base recipe - it might take 30-35 minutes if you use the full amounts. Start the sauce before the steaks - definitely!

Bart

Rick, it took me about 45 min start to finish

you will enjoy it

We made this sauce a couple of weeks ago when we were camping. All who had it thought it was great! Very Tasty! We did cut the butter back to about half the amount. In our case, we also could have reduced it a little more. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Will definitely do this again!

Tom

gonna do it again - in 2 weeks.

2 couples are coming over and this will be what's on tap. Cabernet rib-eye steaks; and going to have sliced baked potatoes, asparagus salad and blackberry dumplings for dessert.

These are folks that grow their own grapes and make and drink their own wine. We are just on a monthly dinner/wine thing and it is my turn. Wines will be a 2007 Gwertztraminer and 2008 French Oak Syrah with maybe a taste of the chocolate raspberry port with dessert.

I will post pictures later.

rrawhide

20100613_234310_dumplin.jpg

Well Mike - here she is:

3 pints fresh or frozen blackberries (or raspberries)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Dumplings

1 cup all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
5 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
(cream or whipped cream optional)

In a 6-qt kettle, combine blackberries, sugar, water and butter and
bring to a boil

For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

In a bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in dry ingredients until a soft dough forms.

Drop by tablespoons onto boiling berry mixture. Reduce heat, cover and
simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings test done (do not lift cover while simmering).
Serve warm with cream, if desired.

YIELD 8 servings.

Sure sounds good to me, Mike, so here we go. Let me know how yours turn out.

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back