Cabernet Franc Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to the Cab Franc . . . I agree, it is great as an unblended variety. I live close to the Finger Lakes and always look forward to tasting Cab Franc on winery visits. Several of the vineyards seem to do quite well with this grape.

Pittsburgh127 and jpojo Please post results of the LE kits when you get them underway. I'd definitely be interested in doing a Cab Franc kit.

Tim

Looks like I'll have to get up to the Finger Lakes in the near future. Is it a popular varietal there? Cab Francs seem to be hard to come by and when we do find one, they are usually sold out or "wine club" only.

I was up at the Finger Lakes about 2 months ago, and we stayed at a B&B that was also a vineyard. The owners were super happy to talk about their grapes and give us a tour of their property and vines. That B&B vineyard grows a variety of different grapes, but of the red grapes, they said that only Cab Franc seems to like the climate up there. Other red grapes can be and are grown in the area, but they don't do as well as Cab Franc.

We visited wineries on Cayuga Lake and Lake Seneca, and even though the area is known for its white grape wines, it seemed like if a winery only served 1 red, it was Cab Franc. There were a few that also had Cab Franc icewine, which quickly became my favorite sweet wine.

Here in Indiana we don't do much vinifera but we do cab franc and we do it well. If anyone is ever in southern IN, stop by Huber winery and grab a bottle. It's actually 10% tannat 90% cab franc but its amazing. Reisling and gewurtztraminer turn out decent also.

I was up at the Finger Lakes about 2 months ago, and we stayed at a B&B that was also a vineyard. The owners were super happy to talk about their grapes and give us a tour of their property and vines. That B&B vineyard grows a variety of different grapes, but of the red grapes, they said that only Cab Franc seems to like the climate up there. Other red grapes can be and are grown in the area, but they don't do as well as Cab Franc.

We visited wineries on Cayuga Lake and Lake Seneca, and even though the area is known for its white grape wines, it seemed like if a winery only served 1 red, it was Cab Franc. There were a few that also had Cab Franc icewine, which quickly became my favorite sweet wine.

We absolutely love The Aurora Inn on Cayuga lake. Its a bit off the beaten path, but that's what we like. Some of the Cab Francs are great.

Latest posts

Back