WineXpert Cabernet Franc Icewine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarathonMan

Junior
Reaction score
I just started making wine. My first kit is a Wineexpert Cabernet Franc Icewine. When adding the grape juice, I also added the F pack. Is this batch going to be screwed up???? SG was 1.165

I don't want to discourage you, but it will likely be very hard to begin fermentation on this with that high of a SG. What yeast pack does it come with? You probably should make a starter yeast for it and keep adding juice to it until it gets going good. Icewine is made for higher sugar content than this, but I don't think you are following the instructions so will have to try to correct mistakes as you go. Generally the f-packs are added after fermentation to sweeten the wine up.

The yeast is Red Star Active Dry Wine Yeast. On the specific gravity chart, it shows for a normal icewine that the SG should be 1.155 - 1.165. This wine shows it should be 1.085-1.092. Is it possible it would still work being similar to normal ice wine?

This is a tough 1 to remedy as the SG is very high!!!!! These kits are designed to be sweeten back quite a bit after fermentation is complete. Being this high of a starting SG you are either going to have a hard time getting it started fermenting or when it does you will have a very high alcohol content. Where are you located and or do you have room in your freezer to possible cold stabilize a 3 gallon carboy to stop it from fermenting all the way down. The yeast used in most kits is typically a very strong yeast to help most wine makers not have any problems fermenting dry. We do not want this to ferment dry as you would be able to fuel an airplane with that. Where do you live?

Since I didn't say it before MarathonMan, Welcome to the forum. Check the yeast packet again. Red Star makes a few different Active Dry WIne Yeasts- like Pasteur Red, Montrachet, Cotes des Blanc. If we can get it going, it may be OK as long as it isn't a really strong yeast. We want the yeast to die out before finishing dry and then stabilize it to keep fermentation from beginning again.

The yeast is Red Star Premier Cuvee - Active Dry Wine Yeast (5 grams). Enough yeast to make up to 5 gallons.

Have you added it yet? It is a very bad choice for this instance. It is a high alcohol tolerant yeast and is not intended for residual sugar wines. Edited by: appleman

Marathon, I think if this gets going we are going to have to stop it before it gets to far fermented. Can you make enough room in a freezer or do you think it will be very cold in your area in say 1 month, we will need around 34* temps for around a week or 2 to cold stabilize this wine.

The yeast has been in since about noon on Easter (Central Time). No activity yet.

I am located in Baton Rouge, LA

Definitely call George on this one to get his idea. He may have a trick or two up his sleeve that can help.

Normally an ice wine has a sg at start of about 1.135 - 1.040 so you are quite a bit higher. If it was mine, I definitely would make a yeast starter to get it fermenting and then would find a way to halt fermentation at about 1.050-1.055. It would need to be stabilised then.

I'm waiting to hear what George offers with this one and what happens with the batch. Good luck.Edited by: appleman

I would stabilize more around 1.045 or higher as Ice wine are usually made to be this sweet. Not to mention that I dought you would even get it that far down anyway as that would be around 20% abv.

hi guy,i have this kit in process in my cellar and its slow starting and like most ice wines finishes very sweet,it almost seamed like no fermentation happened at all,but it did,your sg should finish high the viscosity is dense,how does it taste?very little alcholo ,very sweet,thats what i got,did not care for the finish,oh by the way i made thiswith someone a club member who started out learning and has yet to return to finish her projects,she also has the cholocate port here i had to finish,go figure

Latest posts

Back