Cabernet at lower fermentation temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJD

Reaction score
I have a ferment of Cab Sauv from the north Willamette Valley that is just about finished primary fermentation. The fermentation itself has gone fine, although I have not been able to keep the fermentation temperature as high as I wanted. Average fermentation temperature for the first 80% of PF was around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Since convention calls for Cab fermentation temps at least 10 degrees warmer, I'm curious to see the impact of the lower fermentation temperature on the wine. Does anyone have any first hand experience they can share?

Stats on the wine: OG was 1.095, pH = 3.2 at beginning of fermentation, 0.65% TA.

With a cooler fermentation temp you CAN have slightly less color extraction from the skins. However you will probably be producing more "fruity" esters which are always pleasant no matter what the varietal is. The hotter your temps the more color you'll extract but the more "cooked fruit" flavors you'll produce as well. Also hotter ferments blow off more ethanol if in an open top fermentation vessel. So basically your cab will be fine but it may have slightly different characteristics than if it were hotter. I've seen both many times. I prefer to stay in the upper 70s low 80s personally.

Bit of a late response here, but thanks to both of you for your response. It looked like decent color extraction coming out of the press and now that it's 3 days past pressing.

I am having a similar experience. I have about 10-15 gallons of cab sauv going in my garage. Air temp in there has only been around 55-60. The must temp has been more in the 65 range. I added yeast last Friday, and this morning it was down to 1.00 SG. I'll be interested to see how it tastes. Colour does seem fine to me, so not worried about that. I will be pressing tonight or tomorrow.

Back