Buying Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still occasionally purchase a wine if I want to try something before I decide to make it. It's rare that I do that. Any wines I buy are from a local winery opposed to the Pa Wine and Spirits Stores, can't remember the last commercial wine I purchased.

As for re-using corks, never... 1+1 Grade A corks are .12 each with shipping from California total is only .17 each. As someone else said, cant afford the cork, I don't need to be making wine.

Ok, it's the internet so I don't know if you are kidding or not.

If not kidding, absolutely not. First off, I don't know how you could reuse them due to a couple of issues. a) sometimes some of them shred or lose parts during removal and b) they are no longer airtight due to the hole you put in them(unless your corkscrew didn't go all the way through, then I guess technically you could reuse them).

For the .10-.15 I pay for each cork, if I can't afford that, then I shouldn't be making wine.

Actually I'm not kidding. I had a cork puller, so many corks don't have holes. As far as contamination goes, my whole operation is fraught with contaminants. A cork with a tad of something on it isn't anything I fear. Hell I got bugs in my wine from working in the garage. Weeks ago when I was racking, I spent the in-between times swatting Yellow Jackets.

I served as a US Marine aboard a US Carrier. Being Marines we got the worst billet aboard ship right under the Carrier's Catapult, and ten times worse our adjacent facilities were soon plugged up and the foulest of foul was 1 to 2 inches deep. I've lived thru far far more then the dirtiest cork can do.

Last edited:
Still occasionally purchase a wine if I want to try something before I decide to make it. It's rare that I do that. Any wines I buy are from a local winery opposed to the Pa Wine and Spirits Stores, can't remember the last commercial wine I purchased.

As for re-using corks, never... 1+1 Grade A corks are .12 each with shipping from California total is only .17 each. As someone else said, cant afford the cork, I don't need to be making wine.

Isn't that backwards? I make wine for the challenge and the cost savings. A bottle of wine I make for <50c, costs >$5 at the store.

If one cant afford a cork, then one cant afford a bottle of wine, so instead make wine.

I will buy wine when out to dinner, and it drives me nuts. At our country club they charge a $10 corkage fee, but I've learned that if I give the food manager and the bar staff an occasional bottle, I can avoid that fee most of the time.

Ya gotta know your audience!!!!! Country Club...... Bushwood?

Still buying.
Hope to someday be able to make as good or better than the cabernet that I presently purchase.
Tony...

You can't reuse a cork even with no hole or if you use a cork puller with 2 prongs instead of a screw. Once inserted into a bottle the cork takes the shape of the bottle. Once you remove it it will never go back to the uncompressed (original) state and while it may not leak wine, it will leak O2 (like a sieve) and you will have oxidized wine in "no time flat". Now if you drink your wine in "no time flat" I guess it doesn't matter all that much, but for those of us trying to make a good bottle of wine that will age 3-5 years as well as improve over time, it matters greatly. YMMV as they say.

I have one. It has 2 prongs and does not punch a hole. Unfortunately, it often leaves grooves in the sides of the cork which can be even worse.

Interesting, have never seen one of those.
Thanks.

Try to not let it bother you. People need to make a living. This includes those that work in restaurants. Restaurants also have costs that you do not (the cost of a liquor license, for example).

So, smile, drink up, and feel good about stimulating the local economy!

I agree that they need to make a profit. I don't really complain, but sometimes I just want to stand up and shout that I'm just an amateur and can make a better wine. I enjoy a glass while dining out and will continue to buy 1 or 2 glasses. One of the best I've had was a house merlot during happy hour at Bonefish Grill in Macon Georgia. I think it was $2.50. I had a Malbec here this weekend at an upscale restaurant in Statesboro Ga for $9.00 that was awful. I enjoy tasting and experimenting different labels.

I agree that they need to make a profit. I don't really complain, but sometimes I just want to stand up and shout that I'm just an amateur and can make a better wine. I enjoy a glass while dining out and will continue to buy 1 or 2 glasses. One of the best I've had was a house merlot during happy hour at Bonefish Grill in Macon Georgia. I think it was $2.50. I had a Malbec here this weekend at an upscale restaurant in Statesboro Ga for $9.00 that was awful. I enjoy tasting and experimenting different labels.

Believe me, I hear you. The is the price you pay for really knowing wine. Disappointment is everywhere.

Once a year, as a birthday gift, I go out to dinner at this very upscale restaurant. I had gotten to know the sommelier, Bonnie, and had her taste some of my wines.

She was impressed. I asked her if she was just putting me on and that I am only interested in haring about any faults she may find. She told me that it needed more oak, but was shocked that it was home made.

Having her taste my wines gave her a perfect picture of the types of wine I go for. Ever since then, I simply give her a price range (under $100) and say "surprise me". She has yet to disappoint.

The problem is that I normally dine with at least 5 others. At $100 per bottle, it can get very pricey. Thank god it's only once a year and I have gift cards I saved (from birthday and Christmas) that I cash in.

Perhaps you should do the same type of thing? I am not talking about spending a boat load of money, but if there is a local restaurant that you go to, and they have a decent wine list, you could have them taste your favorite home made to give them an idea of what you like.

Just, please, for the love of God, don't slip them any Welch's...

:):):):):):):):):)

Trolling about to commence in 3, 2, 1...

Everyone says my welches was the best wine they've ever tasted [emoji12]

Removing corks without putting any marks from tools! [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZZVIyVeQI[/ame]

But in all seriousness, corks are cheap, buy new ones for the sake of your wine, time and troubles.

Everyone says my welches was the best wine they've ever tasted [emoji12]

Atta boy Jimmy, welcome to the Welchs world. Same comments down here about the Welchs, from those that like a sweet wine. They can't get enough.

I purchase wine all the time. I also belong to a few Napa wine clubs and absolutely love it. I have had to buy 2 more wine racks for my basement (7 total) because of the addiction. And each batch bottled usually takes up 1 shelf of the rack. Things fill up fast!!

I still buy wine but certainly not as much now that I make a cellar full. I try a varietal before making it, purchase for topping off, and sometimes just for fun.

Back