Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Junior
Reaction score
To bulk age in a carboy is it better to use a solid bung or a bung with an air lock?

Is the wine degassed? If not, an air lock is necessary. If so, solid. However, a solid bung tends to push out if placed too early or not pinned down somehow.

I always use an airlock on a bulk aging carboy for three months and then transition after racking one last time for long term aging with a solid bung.

Solid bung is risky if there is any CO2 left in the wine. It may push the bung out and expose your wine to O2. Air locks require that you monitor so they don’t dry out. Far less risky IMO. Many here ( me included) use vented silicone bungs. No liquid to monitor and less head space needed if that’s a concern. The risk with them is you cannot tell is they are actually holding the seal.

Personally I would never use a solid bung or any non-venting closure on bulk aging wine. CO2 gas and Atmospheric Pressure changes can pop a bung out - I've seen wine pushed up in my airlock on wine that's been aging over 6 months. So unless you are constantly checking that carboy it could happen immediately after you check on the wine and then remain open to the air and bugs until the next time you check it.
A number of folks on here are using the one-way vented silicone bungs so that might be your best bet.

Latest posts

Back