WineXpert Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwisholland

Reaction score
I love this forum, thanks to all for the great info!

I started a WE Eclipse Zin kit 12/14/14, and I am in the racking and clarification stage with about 11 days to go in the 28 days.

I added an oak stave that the guy from the LHBS said would be "spent" in three weeks.

After the 28 days, I would like to bulk age for another 6 months before bottling. There is about 3/4" of sediment currently at the bottom of the 6 gallon carboy, with a decent open head space. I have an airlock on it.

Questions:

-I assume I should rack off of the lees into a clean carboy for the 6 month aging? I was planning to go down to a 5 gallon carboy.

-My basement is currently 58-60 degrees F and gets up to about 70 F in the summer. Maybe a dumb question, but the instructions aren't clear. Should I just age in the ambient temp (currently 58-60) with no temp control?

-I assume I should put a solid bung in for the 6 months, is this correct? I always see photos of people’s cellars and I always see airlocks on their carboys.

-Would it do anything - good or bad - to put the stave in the clean carboy for aging?

-Also, I have read here many times not to use softened water. The guy at the LHBS said “if the water tastes good, just use it”. I am sure everyone is tired of this, but can anyone explain WHY not to use the soft water?

Thanks!

Rack to a clean carboy for bulk aging, definitely.

I'd bulk age at ambient temp; constant or slow fluctuating temps are better than constant variation or perfect temps.

I'd still use an airlock if you'll be checking on it.. I don't think I even own any solid bungs. Temp or barometric changes can cause a solid bung to dislodge, where an airlock just burps.

I'd probably go without the stave because there's a chance it could go either way after that long, depending on your particular taste.

I'll leave that last part up to someone else; I can't remember right now

Thanks for the help!

My airlock level drops fast currently (low winter humidty?) and Im afraid I won't keep up with over a six month period, hence the solid bung question

Softened water has most of the minerals removed. Yeast needs some minerals, especially magnesium, to flourish therefore soft water is discouraged.

Some softened water is softened with salt. Yes rock salt and you dont want salt in your wine.
Tried aging with solid bungs years ago and they shot out every time the barometric pressure changed. Leason learned the hard way again

Tried aging with solid bungs years ago and they shot out every time the barometric pressure changed. Leason learned the hard way again

I had the same issue. I found it was harder to keep up on the solid bungs then it was to keep the airlocks topped off.

My input:

-I assume I should rack off of the lees into a clean carboy for the 6 month aging? I was planning to go down to a 5 gallon carboy. Yes

-My basement is currently 58-60 degrees F and gets up to about 70 F in the summer. Maybe a dumb question, but the instructions aren't clear. Should I just age in the ambient temp (currently 58-60) with no temp control? Yes

-I assume I should put a solid bung in for the 6 months, is this correct? I always see photos of people’s cellars and I always see airlocks on their carboys. I use the silicon bungs with one way "valve" in them, letting gas out, but not in.

-Would it do anything - good or bad - to put the stave in the clean carboy for aging? If you want oak to your wine, add.

-Also, I have read here many times not to use softened water. The guy at the LHBS said “if the water tastes good, just use it”. I am sure everyone is tired of this, but can anyone explain WHY not to use the soft water? At this point, what would you be using water for? To clean the Carboy, for topping? Cleaning, the rinsing with a sanitizer should be ok. Top with a similar wine or save the left overs when you go from 6 gallons to 5 gallons.

NorCal, do you have good luck with those Check valve type bungs? I've been tempted to make the switch. Can you use them in secondary too?

use glycerin in your air locks. It does not evaporate and it is sterile.

I just age in Corny kegs now. Fill. pressurize with CO2 . Bleed out O2. Never leaks. Don't need to fill air locks. N0 O2 exposure during aging. No light.stack nice in closet. If they fall over, no big deal. If I drop it, no big deal. This is perfect for my needs

Thanks for the help!

My airlock level drops fast currently (low winter humidty?) and Im afraid I won't keep up with over a six month period, hence the solid bung question

It's possible that low humidity is causing the problem, but I find that every time there is a spike in high pressure, my (sanitized) water gets pushed into the carboy. I can tell this is happening when there is more water in the center column of the airlock than in the outside column. I would include an image, but no high pressure here, now.
Regarding the solid bung thing, some commenters suggest that they duct tape them to the carboy to prevent expulsion (that would happen during low pressure events, or if you have some residual CO2). The possibility of CO2 is what keeps me in airlock mode.

Thanks Wineh, that is what is happening. I observed the water being sucked in, and I thought the airlock was defective (but couldn't figure how it could be defective).

Anything that could be done about this, besides switching to silicone valve bung?

Part of it also is changes in barometric pressure.. that's why they have Fill Lines, to keep the water from getting sucked all the way into the carboy.

I just lift the airlock out of the bung and give it a shake. It restores equilibrium. Ii only takes a couple of seconds. I generally have something to do in the basement daily so I check often.

Also keep in mind that air density changes much more with temperature than the wine so make sure your carboys are fully topped up.

I just age in Corny kegs now. Fill. pressurize with CO2 . Bleed out O2. Never leaks. Don't need to fill air locks. N0 O2 exposure during aging. No light.stack nice in closet. If they fall over, no big deal. If I drop it, no big deal. This is perfect for my needs

Mmike,
Do you degas after removing from cornet keg do you drink straight from corner key? Does your wine still bulk age similarly to in a carboy, that is with minimal oxygen exposure? I've been interested in cornet kegs for my wine but have not been able to find resources so thanks for any info!

Mmike,
Do you degas after removing from cornet keg do you drink straight from corner key? Does your wine still bulk age similarly to in a carboy, that is with minimal oxygen exposure? I've been interested in cornet kegs for my wine but have not been able to find resources so thanks for any info!

I'm asking these same questions at the moment. Have you found the answer?

Back