WineXpert Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had read the article. From the article, it sounds like bulk aging in a sealed environment is not a good idea for wine. What are your thoughts?

"Aging is an extremely complex phenomenon, not perfectly understood in all aspects. The point that we need to concern ourselves with is simple, however: If the wine has any reductive aromas (sulfury, “green” notes) that would normally subside as it ages under cork or in bulk storage in carboys, they won’t go away in the keg. Wine that is bottled with a stinky smell will be exactly as stinky months or years later. "

Curious how long peeps are bulk aging your white or Rose´ wines before bottling?

Cheers ✌

Curious if those with a bulk aging vessel with a bottom spigot (like a Speidel, FerMonster etc) -- use that when racking or choose to use an auto siphon?

Cheers?

Curious if those with a bulk aging vessel with a bottom spigot (like a Speidel, FerMonster etc) -- use that when racking or choose to use an auto siphon?

Cheers?
Yes, why would you bother with the auto siphon? Just adds one more thing to clean and sanitize.

Yes, why would you bother with the auto siphon? Just adds one more thing to clean and sanitize.
Was just curious based on sucking lees etc out via the spigot vs taking liquid out via the top.

I personally have only used the spigot for my wine kits (which I just started doing in Oct of last year -- and my hard ciders - which I've been doing for years.)

Seems like my wine kits have had more lees / residual matter than my ciders ever had.

Cheers!

Is that timing just for your whites or for ur reds too?
In the past I've done less, but at this time I'm bulk aging kits at least 4 months, reds probably longer, and if I've added oak (white or red) definitely longer.

Last month I bottled Australian Chardonnay and Australian Cabernet Sauvignon Winexpert 10 liter kits after 7 months aging. I added 2 oz oak cubes to the Cab and for no particular reason didn't bottle the Chardonnay until bottling the Cab.

As a general rule, 4 months is the minimum for any wine.

Currently have 5 different Reds at various stages of their bulk aging journey :) Going 6months for all but the Sangiovese - which is going 3months.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 0809212109b.jpg
    0809212109b.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
@Bmd2k1 I see you are using the 20 liter Spiedel, I assume you are happy with them and the size since you have (at least) 6 of them? I have 5 and 6 gallon carboys but wouldn't mind having something closer to 21 liter but since 5,5 gallon carboys isn't available in my part of the world, maybe the Spiedel could be an option next time I "need" to buy a new carboy that is smaller than 23 liter.

@Bmd2k1 I see you are using the 20 liter Spiedel, I assume you are happy with them and the size since you have (at least) 6 of them? I have 5 and 6 gallon carboys but wouldn't mind having something closer to 21 liter but since 5,5 gallon carboys isn't available in my part of the world, maybe the Spiedel could be an option next time I "need" to buy a new carboy that is smaller than 23 liter.
I've got 6x 20L & 2x 30L. Very happy with All of them! The 20L easily accommodates a bit over 6gals. I use the 20L for bulk aging my vinos & for fermenting an occassional batch of hard cider ✌

Cheers!

Back