Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
I am about to start my 2nd kit which is a WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir kit.
I was just reading the WE says "Don't top up" thread, as well as threads on the merits in bulk aging in 5 gall versus 6 gall carboys that may need to be topped up.
So this got me to thinking that I would bulk age in a 5 gall and a 1 gall or two ½ gall carboys, and then use the 1 gall or ½ gall to sample the wine as the wine ages, instead of staking samples out of the 5 or 6 gall carboy .

Is this a method that anyone uses or am I just making work for myself?

That's my plan as well. I was goin to rack to 5 gal carboy then bottle 375ml bottles for tasting along the way.

Yes, that's a very good way to manage your wine so that you're not topping up with another wine. We have LOTS of different glassware just for this reason. And you might want to get yourself some marbles,also. They are better for topping up so you aren't adulterating your wine with a commercial wine.

The small percentage of commercial wine you will need to add is not going to change the taste of your wine, as long as you use a similar wine.

Or you could do what I do and make a bunch of Welches wine and use that for topping off, then it's all yours.

Thanks for you suggestions, they are all very helpful. I expect I will bulk age in a 5 gall carboy and add either some 375ml bottles or 1/2 gall jugs for the rest. I like the marble idea, it seems a good way of adding volume to a container, if needed.

You need a few 1 gallons, 1/2 gallons an some #2 or #3 bungs to fit some wine bottles. I also keep glass juice bottles which fit a 6 or #7 bung.

I am also seriously considering making some welches for topping up purposes.
However until then I am going to get some marbles because I keep sampling from my 6 gallon carboy.

My question is how many marbles are need to make an impact?

Oh, you should at least have 3-5 pounds of marbles. We probably have 20 or 30 pounds of them and they are almost always in use. Morewine sells them--or you can go to Marbleking.com and get them, as they are all USA made.

Oh, you should at least have 3-5 pounds of marbles. We probably have 20 or 30 pounds of them and they are almost always in use. Morewine sells them--or you can go to Marbleking.com and get them, as they are all USA made.

I just read I. More wine that 3lbs will displace 1 liter of liquid.
I was always curious as to how many marbles equated how much space. I was thinking a quater inch of the car boy would take the place of only a couple of ounces.
My wife has a bunch of glass beads used for centerpieces, used for the graduating class of 2015's prom, but I am not sure if I trust those in the wine!

Instead I am going to start a batch of oaky welches just to top up my batches which I can no longer afford to top up commercially !

As I stated above I expect I will bulk age in a 5 gall carboy and add either some 375ml bottles or 1/2 gall jugs as well. I will use an airlock on the the carboy for all the reasons already mentioned in other threads.
Should I also use airlocks on the bottles and 1/2 gall carboy or should I use solid stoppers on these?

It's my opinion that if you're going to use air airlock on the carboy then you would also need an airlock on the 1/2 gallon or bottles. However, once you have completed fermentation there should be no need for an airlock.

I'm no pro, that's just what I've gathered from reading.

I agree in most cases except...If you bring a wine in from cold stabilizing make sure you use an air lock. Other wise as the wine warms up, it will blow your solid bung off. Ask me how I know!!!

Back