WineXpert Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
My first kit has finished the period for clarification and is ready for bottling. However, I've decided to bulk age so I won't be tempted to try it before it's ready. My question now is whether I should rack it off into another carboy before bulk aging, or if I can leave it in the same one?

If you didn't do any extra racking and there is more than a dusting of lees on the bottom I would rack into another carboy for bulk aging just to prevent any issues.

This is also a great time to add the extra 1.5 grams (1/4 tsp) of K-meta as described in the instructions if you didn't already do it. I am assuming you will be bulk aging for at least 6 months or more.

Glad to see this question on the forum. Life has gotten in the way of my wine making lately and I have a carboy of Cabernet Sauvignon unintentionally bulk aging. I guess it’s a good thing that I racked it off the lees before the final clearing. Maybe I'll get it bottled over the 4th of July weekend.Margaret

I'm trying to calculate my timing schedule for some further planned kits. My wife and I are leaving the first of September for three weeks in Italy. If I have wine which has finished the stabilizing and clearing stage, would it be all right to go 3-4 weeks before the final racking and clarification?

rexmor said:
I'm trying to calculate my timing schedule for some further planned kits. My wife and I are leaving the first of September for three weeks in Italy. If I have wine which has finished the stabilizing and clearing stage, would it be all right to go 3-4 weeks before the final racking and clarification?

Yes this would be fine!

Latest posts

Back