Bulk aging question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorrich

Junior
Reaction score
Quick question regarding bulk aging. I have a WE international cab sauv, and a WE selection sauv blanc on the go. They are both "ready to be bottled", but I'd like to bulk age a bit beforehand. As per the directions, I've racked off to a second Carboy once already, but do have some sediment in the bottom of each wine (think I transferred some from the first racking - although each batch took about 3/4 of a wine bottle to top up).

My question is, is it ok to have sediment at the bottom during the bulk aging process, or should I rack each a third time? I don't plan to bulk age for any longer than a month or two, and will finish aging in the bottle.

Any advice is appreciate. Thanks!

Oops meant to post in kit section. Sorry for mix up, but ignoring the specific kits, any additional advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

You can rack any time you'd like. A small bit of lees won't hurt anything, but racking won't either (assuming your anti-oxident levels are OK).

I'd rack it just to make bottling easier down the road.

As your wine ages and clears it will usually drop some sediment. A small amount won't hurt a thing. If you get a layer of it after it sits for a while I would rack it off. If you let it sit for a while longer, it mite throw another layer. Bright side of this is it is better to have it dropping out now rather than in the bottle. Doesn't hurt anything but makes your wine look not as nice when you have sediment floating in it. Arne.

For that short of an aging time, just rack it right before you bottle. Don't try to bottle from a carboy that has sediment in the bottom; you will be sure to get some sediment in the last few bottles.

For that short of an aging time, just rack it right before you bottle. Don't try to bottle from a carboy that has sediment in the bottom; you will be sure to get some sediment in the last few bottles.

Now how would you know that???

As if we all haven't done it.

Latest posts

Back