Bulk aging options

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
for larger batches.

By larger batch I mean a batch between 20 & 50 gallons

I'm trying to plan ahead a bit being I'm flying by the seat of my pants with my vineyard.

What do you folks use to bulk age your wines? I'm looking for possible options other then a barrel(s) as my storage space is limited to the basement of my house. I'm thinking splitting up the wine into 10 glass carboys isn't the best road either. So with that said, what other options are there for someone in my position.

Option 1 is to store in 54 liter demijohns. I have storred wine in these for up to 8 years with good results. (54 liter demijohns are about 13.9 gallons each).

The other option is to take the hit and splurge on a stainless steel variable capacity tank. a 200 liter tank should suffice.

The advantage of a tank are 1) they hold variable capacity (they have adjustable lids) so you will not have the pressure of having to fill the tank up and keep it topped off.

Another tank advantage is that the tank will have the same "footprint" as a demijohn (takes up the same floorspace).

johnT.

UBB, I have a 15 gallon demijohn that I use to age larger batches of wine. They cost around $60 which is better than buying three 5 gallon carboys.

EDIT: Sorry JohnT, I did not mean to step on your reply. You pulled the trigger before me.

Can I assume you also oak your wines in these demijohns as well? Thanks for the replies:b

Can I assume you also oak your wines in these demijohns as well? Thanks for the replies:b

Yes, I use med toast oak cubes. Using a large funnel, I add them to the demijohn, then add the wine on top. the oak starts out floating at the top, but gradually sinks to the bottom. I then simply rack the wine as normal.

Cureous! Why would a 15 gallon demi-john cost about the same as a 5 gallon carboy. The D-J even comes with a plastic basket.

Randy, I was using 3 5-gallon carboys as an example of an equal amount of bulk storage. One demijohn would be the equivalent of 3 5-galons which as Gerard point out are about $30 each, so 3 of them would be $90. The best price I have seen for 6-gallon carboys is $30 on Amazon so two of them (which are actually 6.5 gallons each) would be 13 gallons and you would neet two 1-gallon jugs (about $5 each) or a total of $70 for equal storage space. One of the issues with the demijohn is once you place it and load it, you are pretty much stuck with it in that spot. It would weigh about 130 lbs.

One of the issues with the demijohn is once you place it and load it, you are pretty much stuck with it in that spot. It would weigh about 130 lbs.

I'm thinking of a little cart with casters for moving it?

Latest posts

Back