Mosti Mondiale Bulk Aging MM All Juice Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seminarian

Reaction score
I have a MM alljuice Cabernet I want to age. It is currently in a six gallon carboy, but I am probably going to rack to two 3 gallons in the next month or so. I am looking at adding some oak spirals to this so is there an easy way to do that and how long do I need to age. Also would I need to add additional sulfites?
I am thinking probably aging through the summer and then bottling early fall. Should I keep it on the additional oak that long or is that too long?

Adding oak to a wine is kind of up to how much oak taste you like.....I don't use spirals, but use oak cubes and I go by how the wine tastes as my indicator when to pull the oak....I do go a little past how I want it to taste as the oak taste does mellow some.....6 months on oak would seem like a long time...

Check with George, I think I read somewhere that your are going to get just about all of the oak extracted in about six to eight weeks. After that you get very little.

John

I use oak spirals and leave them for 8 weeks. I love the oak flavor and is very smooth with bulk aging. I still use the chips during the initial process in addition to the oak spirals. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

8 weeks is a normal time but everyone has different preferences so you might want to taste at week 3. Another point is that 1 spiral per 6 gallons is going to give a different result then 1 spiral per 3 gallon carboy!

Latest posts

Back