Bulk aging in Stainless Steel keg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
Has anybody bulk aged in a keg before. Will it affect the wine in anyway. I know glass is the preferred material to use. Thanks

It will be just like doing it in a glass carboy, except you will need to make sure it is topped up all the way. A carboy has little space in the neck so if you fill the wine up to the neck and use an airlock, there is little chance of air getting in, thus oxygenation. With a stainless steel container the mouth is usually larger. Some folks lay a layer of nitrogen or argon gas on the top and use a skin to protect the wine.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

The keg is an excellent vessel to use. I use them also. Most all commercial tanks are stainless steel not glass. Top it up with wine, forget the gas and have your S02 level up. Put your air lock on it and forget it. If you are several months past fermentation I would put a solid bung on it. Just like barrels, you would never want to keep them aging with airlock's after they have gone through mlf.

The keg is an excellent vessel to use. I use them also. Most all commercial tanks are stainless steel not glass. Top it up with wine, forget the gas and have your S02 level up. Put your air lock on it and forget it. If you are several months past fermentation I would put a solid bung on it. Just like barrels, you would never want to keep them aging with airlock's after they have gone through mlf.

Why the concern about using air locks after mlf?

Runningwolf - could you elaborate on your recommendation of not using air locks after mlf?

I use a corney keg(pop keg) and after filling it I use my CO2 tank to purge O2. I pull the bleeder and let all pressure out. Empty space is filled with CO2 and I dont need to use K-meta, during aging this way. There is no oxygen to protect the wine from.

Latest posts

Back