bulk aging and mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCGruv187

Junior
Reaction score
Q1 Can wine kits MLF?
Q2 Can wine MLF by itself while bulk aging?

The reason why I ask is, I made a WE Barolo kit last August/Sept and have been bulk aging it since, until yesterday when I bottled it. It came out GREAT, even as young as it is. It is very different than the WE Zin and WE Cab/Merlot I have made before.

A1: It is possible to put kits through MLF, but it is not advisable. Very inadvisable.
A2: Possible, but quite unlikely, unless you happened to have exposed it to MLF bacteria. Particularly unlikely if you followed the sulfite regimen.

I don't think you need to invoke MLF to explain the differences in your kits. They do differ from each other!

MLF in small batch

Any big red can benefit from MLF. It's best to innoculate in the first few days following traditional yeast fermentation and you'll need both the nutrient cocktail and the MLF strain recommended for your varietal. Remember that MLF will cause a marked reduction in malic acid, and because kits are pre formulated you will likely need to supplement with malic acid. Buy the crystals on line or from your local supply house. I would not dabble in MLF in less than a 10 gallon batch, fermented single barrel. Morewine.com has everything you'll need. Chris Hansen makes some of the best MLF bacterium and has been at it the longest. Talk to a wine making consultant for free at the aforementioned site. You're moving up. Next step is a stainless tank from St. Pats.

Back