Mosti Mondiale bulk age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew master

Junior
Reaction score
i am going to bulk age my wine (pinot noir)am going to rack to my 5gal carboy soon its at0.996 .so when i do bulk age dont add LIQUIEL AND SILIGEL .AND POTASSIUM METABISIUFITE.and let sit for how long.thanks

I would still clairify and add 1/4 tsp of K-meta.
Some say no need to clairfy as time will do it. I like to make sure so i'd add it.
Did you oak it yet? If not this is a good time to do it.

I follow the direction just like up to bottle time. I just keep it in the carboy forever and check the sulfites every 6 months.

Brewmaster,

Per Matteo's comments at Winestock 2009, add the 5g K-Meta packet that comes with the kit, but do not add the clarifiers until closer to when you are going to bottle (the K-Sorbate will be added right before bottling per the instructions). If you add the clarifiers, you will strip the wine early and some of the potential benefits of bulk aging will be limited if not eliminated.

Length of time of aging is up to you, although add 1/4 tsp. of K-Meta every 2 months (also based on current information from Matteo in regards to free SO2 needed to preserve wine).

- Jim

Jim, since I wasnt there, can you elaborate on what the benefits are to bulk aging that adding a fining agent would eliminate?

Wade,

Sure thing. While Nino noted that he didn't necessarily feel that bulk aging was worth the risk of batch contamination/oxidation compared to aging in the bottle, Matteo did confirm what I've seen documented in regards to wine 'chemistry.'(I'm going to use the word chemical here loosely, so forgive me for the sake of explanation, PeterZ.)

Sincethe intent of a fining agent is to remove potential chemicals that may cause cloudiness in the wine (protein haze, fine suspended sediment) but because fining agents cannot specifically and individually remove these chemicals without affecting anything else in the wine, other potentially beneficial chemicals can be removed at the same time. Matteo noted that if you were going to bulk age some wine and there is still a bit of sediment or light residual lees on the bottom of the carboy, mix these up with a gentle stir to help contact (like in the Mosti oaking instructions). Then, he noted (I'm pretty sure this is also in the current set of instructions), add the clarifying agent a week before bottling. Then after the week is up, rack off of the sediment, add some K-Meta, add the Sorbate and bottle away.

This information is consistent with other aging notes that I have seen. In essence, the idea is that the molecules/chemicals that are floating about in the wine that could/would be stripped by the fining agents will bump into one another over time and evolve through reactions that will develop a variety of aromas /tastes in the wine - hence complexity. The concern with fining first and then bulk aging is the stripping of these base components, leaving the bulk aging as a method to avoid drinking the wine as opposed to letting it chemically develop further, loosely stated.

Hope that helps,

- Jim

Jim! You were paying attention!
smiley32.gif
Bravo!

Paying attention..my..when I first read Brew Masters post I read " I am going to bulk age my wife.." good thing I stopped and read again!

JWMINNESOTA said:
Paying attention..my..when I first read Brew Masters post I read " I am going to bulk age my wife.." good thing I stopped and read again!

Can you send me some of the "stuff" you been drinking...
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure bulk and age are two things my wife is trying to avoid.
smiley36.gif

I disagree on 1/2 of what you said.

We all want BULK as in bottles in your wine cellar !
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back