bubbles stopped

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeronut67

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just started my first two batches of merlot from juice pails. The first batch had a starting SG of 1.010 and after primary fermentation I racked it into a % gal. glass bottle and an air lock with no head space where it continues to bubble. all is well so far. I started the second batch a week later in the same room with the same temp. This one had a starting SG of 1.030. 4 days later there was no bubbles and a SG reading of 1.00 so I racked it into the same type container and air lock. It's been about 3 days and the first batch is still bubbling but the second is not. Im sure that where there is a way to screw something up I will find it but this seemed pretty strait forward so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.

Sounds pretty darn good to me. I don't think you've screwed anything up yet.

The starting sg is low on both batches, presumably because fermentation was already under way when you bought the juice pails.

Steve

First off, Welcome!
I'm still a little new to making wine but, Seems to me like you racked the first batch a little early(maybe even the second batch as well) it really depends on how dry you want your wine. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have them in a good 75* temp as this helps finish fermentation. I think a degassing might wake up that first batch as well but not necessary. If I'm off someone here will correct me. So maybe wait to hear from one of the Pros.
Good luck, Pete

I agree with CPfan on tha fact that you bought 2 buckets that were actually almost done fermenting when you bought them. Its one reason I hate buying these buckets unless you buy them right when they come in and even then they can have already started thus starting on wild yeast and not a good wine yeast. Can you make good wine using wild yeast, yes but its risky if proper temps and techniques or youll usually end up with a semi sweet wine that really should have been dry like a Merlot or Cab. Sauv. Never judge a fermentation by bubbles and instead get out your trusty Hydrometer and see whats really going on. Can you post the gravities right now please? Welcome to oyr forum and hope you enjoy all the info and experience that many of us have sweated over for many years and please feel free to ask any questions you may have here!

Hey again,
First, thanks for the responses. This is a great forum and a great way to learn. The other forum I'm involved with was invaluable in helping me build my airplane. There is no substitute for experience. My first batch SG is currently at .998 and the second batch, the one in question is at 1.00. They are both in the same room at about 75 degrees. I didn't add anything but the yeast. Thanks again and have a happy new year! Glenn.

Hey again,
First, thanks for the responses. This is a great forum and a great way to learn. The other forum I'm involved with was invaluable in helping me build my airplane. There is no substitute for experience. My first batch SG is currently at .998 and the second batch, the one in question is at 1.00. They are both in the same room at about 75 degrees. I didn't add anything but the yeast. Thanks again and have a happy new year! Glenn.

Basically once you have the same SG for 3 days, you can call it done, rack and sulphite it.

1.000 is high, but not unheard of.

Back