Bubbles at .994 question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Making a Winexpert selection Pinot noir.
Racked to secondary on 12/6, SG 1.010

As of today (12/13) SG is .994.
However there are small patches of bubbles floating on the top.
There is also a tiny bubble ring on the outer rim of the carboy and the wine is still releasing only a few bubbles.
The directions say I rack and finish up after 10 days when you teach .994

So are the bubbles the last gasp of fermentation?
Trapped gas being released?

But my thought is that if I am at .994, I have fermented to dry.
If I plan to degas and rack off lees (not in that order), what is the benefit to allowing the last bit of fermentation to finish?

I know, I am not following the direction to the letter.
But my thought is that with decreased fermentation and substantial airspace in the carboy, I would rather rack, degass and top up, than wait 3 to 5 more days with the wine not protected by the gas from fermentation .

Thoughts?

Haven't done this kit, but Winexpert tend to finish at .992 for me, so don't be in a rush, make sure that fermentation is complete.

Steve

If you have bubbles, the airspace contains C02 so a few days more won't hurt. I would let it go a few more days to get as dry as you can and then rack it. degas and top up. Just racking will get some of the gas out.

If you still have an S.G. of .994 in 3 days you are good to go ;)

I put a temp strip on my carboy and it was at 61F, even wrapped in a heavy blanket.
This morning I put the brew belt on the carboy. By late this afternoon the carboy was up to 63F and was starting to release more bubbles.
The ring of bubbles around the outer rim increased.

64 degrees F and an SG of .992

Wine kit Directions indicate Ty SG below .996 to stir sediment back in and clarify and wait 8 days. (Good Thing I went back and re-read directions)

I am going to let the will sit for a few days, see if the bubbles decrease

>So are the bubbles the last gasp of fermentation?
>Trapped gas being released?

The latter. Trapped gas. They will keep coming out until you degass.

richmke said:
>So are the bubbles the last gasp of fermentation? >Trapped gas being released? The latter. Trapped gas. They will keep coming out until you degass.

That would explain all the bubbles in 3 different batches that are all well below 1.00 And still just tossing bubbles!

Latest posts

Back