Broken Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJack

Junior
Reaction score
So yesterday, I was bottling a French Merlot that had been setting for almost 6 months. Everything was going well up until the corking part. I was using a Portuguese double handle corker and was inserting the corks when the top ofone of thebottles exploded. Wine everywhere. There must have been a hair line crack or weak spot in the bottle and it was a mess. Luckily, noinjuries, BUT I did loose a whole bottle of wine which was the worst of it. So make sure to check your bottles closely for any problems.

Thanks for posting that caution. Can you tell us what kind of bottle it was and what size cork you were putting into it. Was it a screw cap bottle that you were adding the cork to? Fortunately you were not hurt.

Bummer but thank goodness you werent hurt, it really requires a bottle to be strong when using the hand corker cause these corkers dont squeeze a cork nearly as well as a floor corker.

I was using Bordeaux style bottles with a #9 size cork. I do have to say that it made me a little nervouscorking the rest of them after that happened.I do think that I will be investing in a floor corker as my next purchase.

DrJack,

Here is another vote for getting a Floor Corker, I have both the Portuguese and the Italian models. They both work great. When I use the Portuguese corker, I place it on my countertop and cork the bottles without bending over. The Italian corker is about 3 inches higher and I place it on the floor when I use it.

You will find that a floor corker is one of the best equipment purchases will make in your winemaking hobby.

Robert

I finally gave in and got a floor corker. They are nice. The double handle unit I was using before works great, but you are constantly crouching over.

I'm still a proud defender of the two-handed corker, but I'm wondering, Goodfella, why you are crouching over to use it? I bottle by the kitchen sink and insert the corks on the kitchen counter. If anything, I am stretching upward (a little) to get my weight above the two-handed corker.

Latest posts

Back