Broad Run Cellars 2015 Fall Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 carboys of Montipuciello, it taste very tart the odd thing is the PH is 3.62 and the TA is 10.4 I have tested both numbers a few times different days. TA 10.8 10.6 10.4 the PH consistent 3.62-3.65

i was going to take out 1 gal and add potassium carbonate and see if it improves. Any thoughts on how the TA can be so high?

I have 2 carboys of Montipuciello, it taste very tart the odd thing is the PH is 3.62 and the TA is 10.4 I have tested both numbers a few times different days. TA 10.8 10.6 10.4 the PH consistent 3.62-3.65

i was going to take out 1 gal and add potassium carbonate and see if it improves. Any thoughts on how the TA can be so high?

That TA is crazy high. Are you going by color when testing, or by pH?

I did exactly as you mentioned, testing on 1 gallon first. This time of year though, I have nowhere to cold stabilize after the addition. I put my carboys in the garage for CS.

Very interesting thread! Thanks for sharing!

I'm pretty sure I would have a very difficult time trying to make wine from grapes without anyone to help me through it. There is just way to much stuff I don't know. :(

I'm pretty sure I would have a very difficult time trying to make wine from grapes without anyone to help me through it. There is just way to much stuff I don't know. :(

It's easy, really. But I took baby steps getting there. Started with kits, then on to juice buckets with some added grapes, then on to full grapes. Pretty painless transition, learning along the way.

I agree with Jim. With his and a few others helping me here, the transition to an all grape batch last fall was rather painless and fun to boot! I still think a juice bucket with a lug of grapes can't be beat (price vs. quality). So much so I have to go tip that carboy of Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec and take a sample. It's been a least 23 hours since I did that last. Don't want that batch getting away from me.

I have not tried kit wine for at least 3 years maybe 4, making wine from grapes is awesome. I can barely drink store bought commercial wine anymore. I guess I got use to ours

Blending decisions will be made this weekend. For those interested, I have Cab Sauv, Syrah and Petite Sirah. Any suggestions? I'm not planning to get too fancy, but as a starting point here's what I'm thinking:

1) 60% Cab Sauv, 30% Syrah, 10% PS
2) 60% Syrah, 30% Cab, 10% PS

I'll also do some Cab and Syrah as single varietal, with 5-10% PS mixed int.

Jim, how's the pH on that PS?
Just interested to know and compare to mine high at 3.7x

Well, the Cab and Syrah came out of their barrels on Saturday. Yesterday, I mixed up 4 blends and took them to Dad, so we could sample and pick a favorite. They were as follows in order of Syrah/Cab/Petite Sirah:

75/20/5
60/30/10
45/45/10
30/60/10

Even though I was able to fix the acidity on the Cab, it still seems rather 'bright' to me. Because of this, I figured my favorite would be #1 or #2. Surprisingly, I liked 3 and 4 the best. Dad liked 1 and 4. I felt like all of them would benefit from a little more Petite Sirah. In the end, I think I'm going to do two blends, based on #1 and #4: First will be 70/20/10 and the second will be 30/57/13. Now to figure out the best way to measure these out...

Jim, how's the pH on that PS?
Just interested to know and compare to mine high at 3.7x

Sorry, Varis. Keep neglecting to measure. I had a .55 TA at the start, but didn't measure pH. Will try to do that this week.

I read through this thread in anticipation of my Lanza P.S. Grape delivery sometime this month.

There's a lot more involved in fresh grapes than kits.

You've got this!

1) Crush grapes (Harford does that for you)
2) Measure/Adjust Brix (get a refractometer from Amazon now, if you don't have one)
3) Measure/adjust pH
4) Sulfite to 50ppm (roughly 1/4 tsp for 3 lugs)
5) Wait 24 hours
6) Pitch Yeast
7) Daily punchdowns
8) Press
9) MLB

From there, just like a kit. ;)

You've got this!

2) Measure/Adjust Brix (get a refractometer from Amazon now, if you don't have one)

3) Measure/adjust pH

5) Wait 24 hours

6) Pitch Yeast

7) Daily punchdowns

8) Press

9) MLB

It's 3 and 9 that give me pause... I think I've done the rest. Gotta get a big punish for my 20 gal brute. Craig has graciously volunteered to walk me through it, though... I'll be fine, just nervous.

You're in good hands. 9 is nothing to worry about. Almost as easy as alcoholic fermentation, though not as obvious when its going on. 3 is no big deal - especially if last year was any indication. The Lanza grapes had very good numbers.

I argee with Jim, MLB inoculation is not really a big deal. Keep your temps reasonable, add the bacteria, some nutrient, stir every so often for two to three months. Don't get excited by that time and low sulfite. It just happens, unless it is Merlot, sometimes those grapes just don't like to kick off MLF.

Adjusting Ph isn't any harder than adding or removing acids. No big deal.

You've got this!

3) Measure/adjust pH
5) Wait 24 hours
6) Pitch Yeast
7) Daily punchdowns
8) Press
9) MLB

Only thing I'll add,

5a) Add Lallzyme EX or EX-V (jgm - I have some already for you)
5b) Wait 12 more hours

I've really liked the finished color in my red wines that I've used that on (Merlot/Dornfelder/PN).

@jgmann67 , no worries about pH and such, we'll do an early pH and TA measurement when you get them home. When they sit on the skins those may change a bit, but if they seem out of whack that is a good time to make a "1/2 way" adjustment towards optimum numbers. Where will be get those numbers, by posting right here! If you do get a refractometer that will be one tool I will borrow (or send samples up with my brother so you can measure).

Also on 9), I'll take a sample home with me so we can get pre-MLF Chromatography on both of our wines. I've changed my mind after reading a few things on MoreWines site, I'm leaving my MLF until after fermentation is complete or mostly complete, since it has worked fine in the past. The only thing you might want to order are some nutrients for the MLB. I think I have some Acti-ML for rehydrating, if you choose to rehydrate and not sprinkle.

Edit: Boatboy Jim, sorry for hijacking the thread. We will post questions here if jg-Jim doesn't start a thread. Start thinking of optimum pH and TA for his PS grapes, I have an idea but am by no means an expert, just a blind squirrel that finds a nut occasionally.

Last edited:
Only thing I'll add,

5a) Add Lallzyme EX or EX-V (jgm - I have some already for you)
5b) Wait 12 more hours

I've really liked the finished color in my red wines that I've used that on (Merlot/Dornfelder/PN).

@jgmann67 , no worries about pH and such, we'll do an early pH and TA measurement when you get them home. When they sit on the skins those may change a bit, but if they seem out of whack that is a good time to make a "1/2 way" adjustment towards optimum numbers. Where will be get those numbers, by posting right here! If you do get a refractometer that will be one tool I will borrow (or send samples up with my brother so you can measure).

Also on 9), I'll take a sample home with me so we can get pre-MLF Chromatography on both of our wines. I've changed my mind after reading a few things on MoreWines site, I'm leaving my MLF until after fermentation is complete or mostly complete, since it has worked fine in the past. The only thing you might want to order are some nutrients for the MLB. I think I have some Acti-ML for rehydrating, if you choose to rehydrate and not sprinkle.

Edit: Boatboy Jim, sorry for hijacking the thread. We will post questions here if jg-Jim doesn't start a thread. Start thinking of optimum pH and TA for his PS grapes, I have an idea but am by no means an expert, just a blind squirrel that finds a nut occasionally.

Agree on 5a/b. I use Lallzyme as well, along with OptiRed (just not at the same time)

Blending of the 2015's happened last weekend. Labels should be arriving tomorrow, and we will bottle Saturday or Sunday. Gotta clear out some carboy space!

We bottled ten gallons yesterday - two 5gal batches. There is still 3 gallons of Petite Sirah and 3 gallons of a Cab/Syrah/PS blend, with a little 2014 Zin to top up. Rain today so it looks like my son's baseball game may be cancelled. If so, I'll try to bottle up those two remaining batches.

Back