Broad Run Cellars Fall 2017 Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using White Labs WLP675 because I don't know any better and that is what Harford sells. The only time I used it I didn't know better and sulfited a Chilean Sarah from the spring too quickly so it didn't work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've already bought it for my fall Zin and Barbera and just added it to my Sarah after making sure my SO2 levels were in range.

I've been using White Labs WLP675 because I don't know any better and that is what Harford sells. The only time I used it I didn't know better and sulfited a Chilean Sarah from the spring too quickly so it didn't work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last year, I dosed my Petit Sirah twice with the White Labs and got nothing. It wasn't until I got some grape sludge with MLB from ceeaton (which had VP-41 MLB in it, I think) that the MLF finally kicked off and I saw bubbles.

Last year, I dosed my Petit Sirah twice with the White Labs and got nothing. It wasn't until I got some grape sludge with MLB from ceeaton (which had VP-41 MLB in it, I think) that the MLF finally kicked off and I saw bubbles.

It was CH-16, which worked out since your ABV was pretty high as I remember. The VP-41 you have now was your "insurance policy" in case the dregs didn't do anything.

I just went on White Lab's website. Ph tolerance is 3.0-4.0, ABV is 14 and SO2 is 10. I'd say Ph is within everyone's tolerance, ABV is good for most but the SO2 depending on the yeast strand could be the culprit.

I agree. I don't think most of us think twice about the amount of SO2 created during fermentation. Guess you have to in order for the White Labs MLB work properly. On a side note, I do love their selection of yeasts for beer brewing, great results.

I think @heatherd said she's used it successfully. Maybe she can chime in if she did, or correct my memory.

Craig,

I've used Wyeast from Harford a couple of times. Talking to Kevin at that time, he felt the liquid MLB were likely exposed to temperature fluctuation since they were moving from truck to fridge to carboy. His opinion, anyway, but felt that they were a bit more delicate as a result.

My favorite is VP-41, since it is more stable and seems to get the job done.

Malbec down to 1.014 today. Slow, but steady ferment, now 11 days since pitching the D254. I'll press on Sunday. It is silky smooth and absolutely delicious. Amazing for a wine that is still fermenting. Were it not for fear of a spontaneous MLF down the road, I think I could actually consider skipping it. I haven't measured since crush, but I may be needing to add a little acid - we'll see.

Malbec down to 1.014 today. Slow, but steady ferment, now 11 days since pitching the D254. I'll press on Sunday. It is silky smooth and absolutely delicious. Amazing for a wine that is still fermenting. Were it not for fear of a spontaneous MLF down the road, I think I could actually consider skipping it. I haven't measured since crush, but I may be needing to add a little acid - we'll see.

My Zin sounds very similar this year. Already smells great.
I have decided to skip MLF for a change and see how things turn out.

When using grapes how do you prevent spontaneous mlf happening down the road when its bottled if you dont put through mlf? Do you just ensure a heavier ppm of sulfate when bottling?

I keep my cellar at 17 degrees Celsius, all barrels /carboys topped up and have never had any problems. As a matter of fact, only the last 2 years did I start doing co-inoculated MLF, all the years prior with my father we never did.

We'll see how it turns out. Trying to keep my wine this year as natural as possible.

Malbec down to 1.004 this morning. I guess I'll press this afternoon. No signs of stress, but it is sure taking its time. Today is day 13.

Still no official word yet on the arrival of my Amador Cabernet Franc or the El Dorado Pinot Noir. Rumor has it it'll be this upcoming week.

Well, I got lazy yesterday (that and the kid had me out playing catch for a while). So I pressed the Malbec tonight. It is insanely dark, with booming fruit that is balanced by Sahara-like tannin. I'll rack on Wednesday, then wait for the rest of the grapes to arrive before I pitch the VP41. This is a winner already. I was so surprised by the color on this that I dug into the deep crevices of the stash and pulled a bottle of the 2015 Petite Sirah, that I hadn't planned on touching for another year. It is almost that dark and I'm sure with some settling of the solids might rival it. So now I wait for the Cab Franc and Pinot Noir, hoping an upcoming business trip doesn't interfere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back