BRIX levels effect on winemaking process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwine

Junior
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a question about the winemaking process as it results to different BRIX levels for grapes. I will state the question as a hypothetical for clarity.

A vineyard owner consistently sells his grapes to a winemaker for several years. One year, he uses a new type of fertilizer and vineyard management program that dramatically increases the BRIX levels of the grapes he sells (by dramatic I mean at least 10 to 15 percent increase)

Would there be a concern on the winemakers end of how this would effect the winemaking process?

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe one of the vineyard experts can better answer your question. All I can say is increased BRIX level, if the must is not diluted by the wine maker, will result in a higher ABV.

From one year to the next, weather can play a huge, very important part in the brix level. Hotter daytime temperatures can increase the sugar content. Watering practices can affect it, too.

Concern? I can't say, but maybe you should ask the grower why he/she thinks the brix level has changed.

A higher BRIX can many times be a good thing.

Higher alcohol may not necessarily be an issue IF the fruit is balanced with acids, tannins, flavors, etc.

Concern? I can't say, but maybe you should ask the grower why he/she thinks the brix level has changed.

A higher BRIX can many times be a good thing.

I have been researching a new product with the intention of possibly marketing it to vineyards, because it has demonstrated the ability to dramatically increase the overall plant yield, growth, brix levels, etc, but was told by more than one person that the concern on the vineyard owners part would be whether or not this would effect the winemaking process, and therefore effect established accounts with winemakers. Part of my question is an attempt to determine the accuracy of the thigs i have heard. It seemed to conflict with some information I have seen regarding higher prices charged per ton by grapes with higher BRIX and mineral levels.

Although at this point I still have a lot to learn about the science of the winemaking process, from my own limited experience in helping hobbyists with the grunt work of making wine, it would seem to me that higher sugar and mineral levels (i e a higher quality grape) would be a benefit to the fermentation process, and any variations would be easy to control with common addatives. Like anything, a lot of conflicting information out there so I thought I would ask the pros. Thank you for the information so far.

Last edited:
Of course the higher the BRIX, the higher the ABV of the resulting wine. That (alcohol bomb) is very popular with guys like Robert Parker, but not so popular with many, many, many others. Reducing the BRIX level with acidified water results in the grape must being diluted, which is not always a good thing. Even modifying the BRIX level in the must can be illegal in some areas.

Heavier minerals can be good for some, but not for everyone. French wines and many other European wines tend to be higher in minerality. Lots of people don't appreciate it.

Sounds like you need to get deeper involved in the wine industry, so you can learn and relate better to what your idea may bring to the table. Nothing better to learn than getting a job as a low-level helper in a winery. Good luck with your idea!

Last edited:
Thanks Robie.

I agree that I should get more involved somehow in the wine industry, although I think I am learning a lot more from hobbyists than I would from large scale winemakers - people on this forum seem to be more focusing on building the knowledge base as a whole, and it helps that you aren't all competing for your peice of the market share.

I grew up around wine snobs, very tight lipped and closed about their techniques, so this forum is refreshing in that respect. Thanks again for everyones knowledge they are sharing so openly. I look forward to having something to contribute to the discussion.

Ok here's my OPINION on this. I have made wine for a long time, I just started my first vineyard and hope to one day make about 25 case's from it. I do not want anything on my vines or in the soil I don't have to put there. I want my wine to the extent possible, to represent the terroir. Everything I've read and done has shown me that increased vine vigor makes the wine suffer. Again, I have very little experience with growing grapes.

I have heard this from others too, that the best wine came from the most stressed plants. He had all these big beautiful ones arching around the fence and entryway for looks, but the ones that actually made his wine were gnarled, shriveled looking vines that he said they did all kinds of stuff to intentionally stress, including letting them almost completely dry up at least once a month. The wine did taste extremely good so I can't argue his logic on the grounds of results, although I don't have a whole picture of every aspect of his operation.

I have seen a similar phenomena with blackberries, the ones that had the most environmental stresses generally produced a suprisingly superior berry compared to the ones with adequate water, fertile soil, etc. So this concept does make sense to me.

mgmarty, I really like those desert wines that come out of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, etc. A class of their own!

Latest posts

Back