Brew Belt??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
I use a oil filled upright space heater in my basement full bath. From what I can tell from my May Electric bill it cost me roughly $ 28/month to run this. I have been reading about Brew Belts and was wondering how accurate they were? Do you have to have a room with a constant temp? Could your Primary and Secondary be placed in a room with a temp of 60-65 with a Brew Belt attached? Can they be used around Plastic Better Bottles?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The way I figure it, I could of bought another high-end kit for what it cost me to go through fermentation on the last 4 kits. Thoughts please!

I have never used 1 on a better bottle but cant see any reason it would be a problem as they dont get that hot. I use them on both primary bucket and glass carboys through out the winter in a room that stays about 62-64* and the belt keeps the must at around 70*. It will certainly be much cheaper to use this!

Scott, if you have the room you might also consider a chest freezer. With a temperature controller they work quite well for cool fermentations and you can also use them to hold at whatever warmer temps you like.

Jeff

Wade, on mine just closing it up will give you a 10 Degree jump in temp. during fermentation. If it's cold I place a light bulb in there for a while, they are insulated so well it does not take much.

Jeff

Thanks for the tips.. The Chest Freezer is a good idea but I would be moving carboys up and down into the basement when done fermenting. I have a mechanical room in our walk out basement that would give me an area of roughly 6 x12. My thought would be to wall off between the furnace and the storage area,(I have doors at both ends), build an insulated cabinet, 6 x 4,that could be used for fermenting, using Brew Belts. Shelves for bulk storage and an area for some custom racks for bottles.Might even give me room for a sink.The last couple of days average temp has been around 65 with outside temps in the mid 70's. If I take off the insulation on the 2 foundation walls I think I could lower that by a couple of degrees. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I just want a dedicated room!

I just ordered an Island Mist kit with a Brew Belt from George. Going to monitor temps and see how things work. Thanks again to all
Scott

Latest posts

Back